Recap: Gamecock women's golf finishes third in 2021 Gamecock Intercollegiate

The No. 2 Gamecock women’s golf team shot a 6-over 870 to take third place at the 2021 Gamecock Intercollegiate earlier this week.

Four out of five of the top-five teams in the nation participated in this year's Gamecock Intercollegiate. In total, 11 of the top-25 teams participated.

South Carolina finished the first round in third place, scoring a 1-under 287. The team struggled early and hit a couple bogeys all around. The players were able to lock in and score some birdies on their back nines. 

In the opening round, Gamecock senior Lois Kaye Go shot a 3-under 69, tied for first place. She hit three birdies in the round and shot for par on every other hole to put herself and the team in a good position heading into the next round.

“It was a bit of a slow start, we couldn't get birdies going but the hole locations were hard," head coach Kalen Anderson told GamecocksOnline postgame. "We hung in there and kept ourselves in the tournament. Saw a good round by Lois today and we're excited to get out there tomorrow and hopefully catch a little bit of fire and see what we can do."

In round two, the Gamecocks shot a 5-under 285. They moved into first place when the round was over. 

Go continued her play, sinking six birdies in the round, including three in a row on holes 11-13. She finished the round still tied for first place, thanks to another 3-under 69 round. Senior Ana Pelaez also had a solid round, shooting a 1-under 71.

The team lost its lead, and shot a 10-over 298 in the final round.

Pelaez and freshman Paula Kirner had good rounds for the Gamecocks. Pelaez shot 2-under 70 to move her into a tie for sixth place. With that, she secured her ninth top-10 finish of her career.

Kirner hit 3 birdies to shoot an even-par for the round. She ended with a 3-over 219 to place 20th. Her 219 is her best 54-hole performance of her college career.

Go finished the tournament third overall, with a 4-under 212. This is her personal best 54-hole score as a Gamecock. She also acquired her seventh top-five finish, moving her into a three-way tie for seventh on the school’s all-time list of top-five finishes.

The Gamecocks will be back on the course for the Valspar Augusta Invitational March 13 and 14 in Augusta, Georgia.