Students, faculty learn self-defense tactics

USC police teach basic communication, physical skills to thwart attacks

Last Friday, the Sexual Assault and Violence Intervention and Prevention office held their first self-defense workshop of the semester.
Funded through the office, the workshop enabled 17 USC women, both faculty and students, to learn the basic skills needed to defend themselves if ever necessary.

“The classes are free and include basics that anyone could learn,” said Emmy-Lou Dickinson, graduate assistant for sexual violence and prevention.

Classes are taught by Lieutenant Teena Gooding of the USC Police Department and her female police officer assistants at the Strom Thurmond Wellness and Fitness Center three times a semester.

“In the classes, participants learn verbal, mental and physical skills for defending themselves,” Dickinson said.
Students learn 13 different rules from what to do when you feel pressured, coerced or ignored to learning how to send clear messages to your attacker. The classes last about four hours and will take place two more times this semester, on March 30 and April 9.

“These self-defense classes are not only for students, but for faculty and staff as well. On Friday, we had ages from 18 to 60 years old,” Dickinson said.

Outside interest and resources generated the idea for this program, and the popularity continues to grow with female students on campus.

“The class was really fun. I definitely think it was valuable to learn those skills,” said first-year art education student Kelsey Phillips.

“I learned a lot and feel a lot more comfortable now about being able to defend myself if I ever need to,” Phillips said.

The program got on its feet this fall, after a trial run in January 2009. With the help of the USC Department Law Enforcement and Safety, the program has been able to happen more regularly.

“Since we partnered with the USC Police Department, the program has become very successful,” said Michelle Eichelberger, Interpersonal Violence Program Coordinator of the Sexual Assault and Violence Intervention an Prevention Program. “Every class has been full since fall.”

There has even been a success story based on the accomplishments of this program.

“Last year a student took the class and a few weeks later, a man was following her in a parking lot. She said, ‘Don’t bother me!’ and he left her alone,” Dickinson said. “Had she not learned to tell this man to leave her alone, who knows what could have happened?”

Feedback from the program has been positive. Anonymous comment cards that students filled out after the class praised the program saying things such as “well-needed on campus,” and “good way to learn about the resources on campus for women.”

Because of the positive feedback, the number of students interested continues to grow.

“Twenty people are already signed up for our March class,” Dickinson said. “Because college campuses are such a high-risk area, this really is a good class for everyone to take to learn some basic skills that could save your life.”