In Our Opinion: Stalking no joke, deserves community's attention

The Office of Sexual Assault and Violence held its third-annual Stalking Awareness Fair on Thursday. Unfortunately, it was lightly attended.

We have to admit that it’s not hard to see why we all might not realize how serious a problem stalking can be. Most of us have no problem admitting that we’re stalkers — Facebook stalkers, that is.
And that’s the problem.

Sure, it’s all fun and games when you hit “Like” or leave a snarky comment on someone’s picture from 2009, but by diluting the word that way, we’re hindering the spread of worthwhile awareness.
Stalking is a dangerous obsession with someone else that can consist of following, spying and frequent, unwanted interaction. And over time, it can lead to violence.

Research suggests one in 12 women has been stalked. For men, it’s one in 45.

It may be hard to combat stalking, but Verizon Wireless representatives at the fair demonstrated a few countermeasures. One of them is React Mobile, an app that sends an alert to emergency contact when you leave a certain location. For example, if you’re working a late shift, you can program the app to send the message once you leave work.

Guardly is another app that’s designed with communication in mind. In the event of an emergency, you can send a distress signal based on your current location to the USC police.
It may be fun to joke about your social media habits, but stalking in its true form is nothing to take lightly.

Thankfully, USC students have a host of resources at their disposal.
Each of us can download these applications as a preventative measure, and they’re great tools to have when it’s late and you’re alone. USC’s Office of Sexual Assault and Violence Intervention and Prevention is also available at the Thomson Student Health Center 24 hours a day.

Stalking is no joke. Let’s not treat it as one.