First Half Ramblings: South Carolina-Georgia

First half observations from The Daily Gamecock Sports Editor, Will Helms, on the South Carolina-Georgia game:

• On Georgia’s first drive, the first Nick Chubb-Skai Moore hit occurred. Moore became the first non-lineman I’ve ever seen to single-handedly push Chubb back.
  • Perry Orth worked the middle of the field nicely, completing his first three passes of the night — all between the numbers.
  • Georgia’s run defense was outstanding in the first half. The Bulldogs loaded the box and dared Orth to beat them.
  • The Gamecocks’ first issue with the crowd noise occurred at the 2:30 mark of the first quarter when head coach Steve Spurrier was forced to burn a timeout.
  • The Gamecock cornerbacks continued to play well off the line-of-scrimmage, and Georgia quarterback Greyson Lambert went 14-15 with 190 yards and a touchdown in the first half. However, the Gamecocks held Chubb somewhat in check. The sophomore gained 68 yards on 12 carries.
  • Georgia threw at 5-foot-11 cornerback Al Harris Jr. quite a bit in the first half. The 163-pounder was overmatched at best by Georgia’s physical receivers.
  • The Gamecock special teams units dominated the Bulldogs. Elliott Fry was 2-2 on field goals including a career long 51-yarder. Returner Shon Carson set him up with a long kick return with 7 seconds left on the clock. Carson averaged 35 yards a return on 3 kickoff returns. Punter Sean Kelly put two kicks inside the 20 and the All-SEC returner was held to just 34 yards on two kick returns.
  • Spurrier adapted to the new-look Gamecock offense with a slew of zone-reads, options and unconventional running plays. True freshman Lorenzo Nunez started the Gamecocks’ only scoring drive at quarterback and played well though he has yet to attempt a pass in his young career.
  • Center Alan Knott sprained his ankle midway through the second quarter. True freshman backup Zack Bailey played well, all things considering.

• Comments