Volleyball falls to Auburn, Texas A&M

South Carolina’s volleyball team continues to struggle this season with losses to Auburn and Texas A&M this weekend at home.

Looking for their first conference win of the year, the Gamecocks hosted Auburn Friday night. They put on a great fight and kept things close the entire match but the Tigers swept the match, 25-23, 25-20, and 31-29.

Both teams entered the match strong and was a back-and-forth battle, with 12 ties in the first set. Auburn took the lead and although South Carolina was able to catch up and keep it close, the Tigers pulled away to take the first set.

The second set was also a close one with a few lead changes, but Auburn went on an 11-3 closing run to take a 2-0 lead in the match.

The Gamecocks looked to make a comeback during the third set with an early lead, but the Tigers would not go down without a fight. The set was very close and went back-and-forth for a while, when Auburn would finally get the 31-29 win and claim the match 3-0.

Junior Koko Ato-Williams led the team with 16 kills in the match.

South Carolina then faced Texas A&M Sunday afternoon which also proved to be a close match. The Gamecocks fought throughout but A&M won the match 3-2, by scores of 27-29, 25-23, 22-25, 25-12 and 15-4.

The first four sets were kept close by both teams with multiple lead changes and neither team giving up. With the match tied 2 each heading into the fifth, the Gamecocks were too worn out and Texas A&M was able to seal the win.

The Gamecocks fall to 7-12 on the season and 0-6 in conference play. They will be back in action on Wednesday in Georgia.