Analysis: Gamecock men's soccer uses offensive strength to beat Winthrop in 2024 season opener

<p>Freshman midfielder Grant Mateer celebrates after scoring a goal against Winthrop on Aug. 22, 2024. The Gamecocks defeated the Eagles 7-1, aided by Mateer scoring one goal in the 69th minute.</p>
Freshman midfielder Grant Mateer celebrates after scoring a goal against Winthrop on Aug. 22, 2024. The Gamecocks defeated the Eagles 7-1, aided by Mateer scoring one goal in the 69th minute.

The South Carolina men's soccer team opened its 2024 season with a 7-1 win over the Winthrop Eagles on Thursday night at Stone Stadium.

South Carolina used a fast-paced offensive attack to put pressure on Winthrop's defense and help lead the team to a season-opening win.

"Always happy after a win like that, a good performance," head men's soccer coach Tony Annan said. "We found a rhythm and we got on it." 

A graphic of the final score between South Carolina men's soccer and Winthrop reads "Gamecocks 7" and "Eagles 1".

The Gamecocks took an early 1-0 lead when senior forward Harrison Myring scored a goal in the 19-minute mark in the first half. Less than two minutes later, South Carolina freshman midfielder Alejandro Velazquez-Lopez scored his first collegiate goal to make it 2-0 Gamecocks.

Tempers flared between the two teams at around the 28th minute of the match when Winthrop senior defender Diego Candia was ejected after receiving a red card for shoving a South Carolina defender.

South Carolina took a 3-0 lead in the 32nd minute when junior midfielder Ethan Ballek scored his first goal as a Gamecock. Ballek delivered again seven minutes later to give the Gamecocks a commanding 4-0 lead in the match.

Around the 56th minute, the Gamecocks made it 5-0 when sixth-year forward Martin Yahia scored after Winthrop's goalkeeper, sophomore Jack Kilstrom, left the Eagles' goal.

Winthrop scored its first goal in the match in the 65th minute when senior defender Sodai Koketsu found the back of the net to make it 5-1. But the Gamecocks answered right back with a goal from freshman midfielder Grant Mateer, giving South Carolina a 6-1 lead at the 69th minute.

South Carolina landed its final goal of the match when sophomore forward Einar Ness scored in the 89th minute. 

Ballek gives Gamecocks a boost

South Carolina received a standout performance from Ballek. The Virginia Tech transfer gave the Gamecocks a wave of momentum with his back-to-back goals at the end of the first half of play. While the Gamecocks held a 2-0 lead before his pair of goals, his performance provided the team with a necessary cushion so it could breathe easier in the second half.

"We tried Ethan a little higher up, and he did really well," Annan said. "His running of the ball was fantastic. His work-rate to defend from his position was excellent, and he created a lot of confusion for the other team and created a little bit of havoc, so really happy with his performance."

Ballek proved to be an early contributor on a new-look South Carolina roster that features 19 newcomers this fall, with 10 being transfers.

Dominating offensive attack

South Carolina controlled the pace of the match throughout by maintaining possession of the ball. The Gamecocks outshot the Eagles 27-9 in the match and attempted nine corner kicks to Winthrop's three. The Eagles struggled to contain the Gamecocks' aggressive offensive style, as it registered 14 saves in the match compared to South Carolina's one.

"Speed's important, but technique is just as important as speed," Annan said. "We've got a few guys that can do both, which is great."

The relentless pressure of South Carolina's offense proved to be a catalyst in its victory.

Excitement for soccer building in Columbia

Thursday night's matchup against Winthrop at Stone Stadium was the second largest crowd in the stadium's history.

"The crowd was amazing," Annan said. "Sellout, I think, so for some of those guys, it was the biggest crowd they've played in front of."

After the game, Annan discussed the crowd's impact on the players and the anticipation for soccer in the city after the Rivals in Red Tour match  at Williams-Brice Stadium on Aug. 3.

"I think the city got behind that game and it was amazing for the city," Annan said. "The passion and the attendance that was there could spill into our games, and we could entertain them just as much."

What’s next?

South Carolina will continue its home stand when it faces North Florida on Aug. 25. Kickoff is set for 3 p.m., and the game will be streamed on ESPN+.