Analysis: Gamecock women's soccer opens 2024 season with 5-1 win over Furman

<p>Freshman forward Katie Shea Collins watches her teammate, senior midfielder Lily Render, advance the ball during South Carolina's match against Furman on August 18, 2024, at Stone Stadium. Collins recorded a hat trick in the first 30 minutes of play in the Gamecocks' 5-1 victory over the Paladins.</p>
Freshman forward Katie Shea Collins watches her teammate, senior midfielder Lily Render, advance the ball during South Carolina's match against Furman on August 18, 2024, at Stone Stadium. Collins recorded a hat trick in the first 30 minutes of play in the Gamecocks' 5-1 victory over the Paladins.

The No. 21 South Carolina women's soccer team kicked off its 2024 campaign with a 5-1 win over Furman Sunday night at Stone Stadium.

The Gamecocks' strong offensive performance, which included a first-half hat trick of goals from freshman forward Katie Shea Collins, ultimately helped lead the team to victory.

"It wasn't the prettiest, but we obviously responded very well," head coach Shelly Smith said following the match. "(We) put the ball in the back of the net several times, which was great to see."

A graphic displays the outcome of the match with South Carolina scoring five goals and Furman scoring one.

South Carolina didn't take long to get on the scoreboard. Collins scored the first goal of her collegiate career just 34 seconds into the match to give the Gamecocks a 1-0 lead.

Both South Carolina and Furman exchanged goals about halfway through the first half. Paladins freshman midfielder Sarah Sexton scored in the 18th minute to tie the game at 1-1, but Collins scored her second goal less than two minutes later to help the Gamecocks regain the lead.

South Carolina continued its offensive barrage to close out the first 45 minutes. With about 19 minutes remaining in the opening half, fifth-year forward Catherine Barry and Collins scored back-to-back goals to make the score 4-1. 

But after a five-goal first half, the two teams entered a defensive stalemate.

The Gamecocks controlled the ball and created changes deep in the Paladins' defensive half, but neither team scored until freshman midfielder Kylie Cino found the back of the net with less than 10 minutes remaining in the match, making it 5-1 for the Gamecocks.

Collins dazzles in debut

Collins, the Gamecocks' highly-touted freshman who was named a United Soccer Coaches All-American in 2023, overwhelmed Furman’s defense in her debut. The Gallatin, Tennessee, native showcased speed and control with the ball, and she scored the second fastest opening goal in program history.

"It's a dream come true," Collins said. "Honestly, it goes to show of what the coaches have set up for us in the preseason, and it was just honestly so hard, and it pushed me past my limits."

The crowd gave Collins a standing ovation as she was substituted for the first time around the 29th minute mark in the first half. Collins' hat trick performance also caught the eyes of Smith, who said she was impressed with how Collins played.

"That was exciting to see. We knew the talent (Collins) is, and she earned a starting role for a reason," Smith said. "She's a tremendous player, great attitude. She's transitioned well into the college game, and she's got obviously a bright future ahead."

First-half momentum

The Gamecocks' first-half scoring output was all it needed to clinch the victory against the Paladins. South Carolina controlled the ball and the pace of the game, which made the Furman's defensive job more difficult.

The Gamecocks dominated the pace of play in the opening half, outshooting the Paladins 6-2. Furman struggled to contain South Carolina's attacking offense and failed to gain much momentum after Sexton's 19th-minute goal. 

Furman attempted four shots in the match, with two on goal. The Gamecocks had 18 total shots, with nine on goal.

"Our offensive production, our chances were good," Smith said. "We've got to clean up a little bit, our defensive shape, and not quite be on a counter as much we did."

'We've got to keep working hard'

After the Gamecocks picked up a season-opening win over the Paladins, Smith said she hopes the team can build off its five-goal performance as the 2024 season continues. The Gamecocks began its 2023 campaign with five-straight wins after earning a scoreless draw against Clemson in the season opener. 

"I'm excited about this start, and we've got to keep working hard to get towards our conference play and postseason," Smith said. "It's all a process, so this was a great way to start."

What's next?

South Carolina will return to its home field on Aug. 25 to face the College of Charleston. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m., and the match will be streamed on the SEC Network+.