LaNorris Sellers to start as South Carolina's quarterback against Old Dominion

<p>FILE — Redshirt freshman quarterback LaNorris Sellers looks to his receivers down field during South Carolina's annual Spring Game at Williams-Brice Stadium on April 20, 2024. Head coach Shane Beamer announced Tuesday that Sellers would be the starting quarterback for South Carolina's home opener against Old Dominion on Aug. 31, 2024.</p>
FILE — Redshirt freshman quarterback LaNorris Sellers looks to his receivers down field during South Carolina's annual Spring Game at Williams-Brice Stadium on April 20, 2024. Head coach Shane Beamer announced Tuesday that Sellers would be the starting quarterback for South Carolina's home opener against Old Dominion on Aug. 31, 2024.

South Carolina officially has its QB1 as redshirt freshman quarterback LaNorris Sellers was announced Tuesday as the starting quarterback for the Gamecocks’ season-opener on Aug. 31 against Old Dominion.

Head football coach Shane Beamer said Seller’s consistency and familiarity with the offense was part of the reason he earned the job for week one. 

Sellers replaces former Gamecock quaterback Spencer Rattler, who is now with the New Orleans Saints. As a true freshman, Sellers saw action in three games as Rattler’s backup last season and completed all four of his passes, including a 50-yard touchdown pass versus the Furman Paladins. 

But while the 6-foot-3 quarterback has been long expected by fans to have the starting spot for the team, Beamer said Sellers would still have to earn the job each week and did not count out the possibility of Auburn transfer and backup quarterback senior Robby Ashford seeing the field during games.

“The guy that gives us the best chance to be successful is going to be the guy that's out there week in, week out,” Beamer said.