State budget allocates $123.3 million to USC for new building, tuition freeze

<p>FILE - People arrived on the South Carolina Statehouse lawn as early as 2 p.m. for Donald Trump's late afternoon appearance on Jan. 28, 2023. Recently, South Carolina legislators ratified the state budget, allocating money to the University of South Carolina.</p>
FILE - People arrived on the South Carolina Statehouse lawn as early as 2 p.m. for Donald Trump's late afternoon appearance on Jan. 28, 2023. Recently, South Carolina legislators ratified the state budget, allocating money to the University of South Carolina.

South Carolina legislators ratified the state budget on June 26, allocating approximately $170.3 million to the entirety of the University of South Carolina campuses.

$123.3 million went to the University of South Carolina, Columbia, while the remaining $47 million went to the other University of South Carolina campuses. The money will be split among a variety of projects all decided by the yearly budget made by the board of trustees.

These funds are split into two types of funds: recurring and non-recurring funds. Recurring funds are given each year to the university, while non-recurring funds are given as needed rather than annually.

The recurring funds mainly aim to keep tuition stagnant for in-state students. The Columbia campus has been able to freeze tuition for in-state students for six years straight. Tuition for out-of-state students has also only been increased twice since 2020 because of these fund. 

The non-recurring funds are split among other projects on campus. A large portion is going toward USC's new Health Science Campus, which is scheduled to begin construction in early 2025. The remaining money will be dispersed to other needed projects on campus.This information was given in a statement from Collyn Taylor, a USC Spokesperson.