6 Columbia book clubs where you can find like-minded readers

Are you a literary lover looking for a like-minded reading community? Finding your people can be difficult, but book clubs are great ways to meet fellow readers.

While the possibilities of different book clubs are endless, it can get difficult deciding which book club is right for you. Whether you're an avid reader, a solitary reader, or a reader trying to expand into new genres, it can be hard to know what's the best fit for you. Here are six bookThis list below is an explanation of a variety of book clubs in the Columbia area, as well as the types of books they like to read. 

C.S. Lewis Center Book Club

Located on campus, this book club meets weekly to discuss "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" and other classic fantasy books written by C.S. Lewis. 

The C.S. Lewis Student Center is an on-campus ministry that is located near the Capstone residence hall, and hosts many events, one of which is a book club that meets every Thursday at 7 p.m.

Well Behaved Book Club

The Well Behaved Book Club is a new group that will start meeting in early September. The club will focus on books that have been banned in different parts of the United States.

This book club will meet in Azalea Coffee Bar on Devine Street. The first meeting of this book club launches during Banned Books Week from Sept. 22-28 at Azalea Coffee Bar.

Literary Coven

Literary Coven's goal is to be a safe and welcoming environment for those who identify as female or non-binary.

The book club meets monthly at different Columbia locations to discuss new books and has several up-coming meetings, with readings focusing on books such as "All's Well" and "The Silent Patient."

QHB Book Club 

The monthly book club is hosted at Queer Haven Book store every third Wednesday of the month and is open to all.

The club focuses on books written by queer authors. Some of its upcoming reads include "Hijab Butch Blues" by Lamya H, "Other Terrors" by Vince A. Liaguno and Rena Mason and "Make the Season Bright" by Ashley Herring Blake. 

Baan Silent Book Club

Held at Baan Sawan, a Thai bistro and used book shop, the book club focuses on the pleasantry of reading silently together.

If you're looking for a reading community, but prefer to read quietly by yourself, this book club is perfect for you. While participants still discuss topics in the books, these conversations are not the main focus — taking the time to enjoy reading is. 

Baan Sawan is located on Devine Street in Columbia and functions as a part-time used book shop and wine bar. The used book shop is open Monday through Thursday, 3 p.m. to 7 p.m., and Friday through Saturday, 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. 

Between the Covers: Queer Romance Book Club 

Hosted by Queer Haven Books, this 18 and up book club meets monthly to discuss different spicy queer romance books.

The book club is currently reading "A Little Kissing Between Friends" by Chencia Higgins and will read "A Lady for a Duke" by Alexis Hall and "The Unbroken" by C.L. Clark. Fans of romance novels, with or without spice, will enjoy the variety of this book club.