A look at the Golden Spur, USC’s new dining option

<p>The inside of the Golden Spur on Sept. 16, 2024. The Golden Spur, which opened in 2024, is the University of South Carolina's full-service restaurant in Campus Village.</p>
The inside of the Golden Spur on Sept. 16, 2024. The Golden Spur, which opened in 2024, is the University of South Carolina's full-service restaurant in Campus Village.

When USC students walk into the Golden Spur, they are met with a Gamecock-themed bar finished with tvs mounted on the wall, barstools available to sit at and the aroma of tasty food.

The Golden Spur, a new campus restaurant, pays homage to a restaurant and bar of the same name in Russell House during the 1980s. Since then, modifications have been made to bring a new experience for student dining as well as bringing a sense of nostalgia to alumni.

The restaurant recently opened on Aug. 20 in Campus Village as a new addition to USC’s dining options.

The reimagining of The Golden Spur keeps has aspects of the restaurant and bar scene, but one important distinction is the introduction of mocktails in place of cocktails. The nonalcoholic mocktail options include fruit juices and other soft drinks to craft a unique beverage for students to enjoy.

“We created four signature mocktails for the location as our way of still giving the bar kind of atmosphere," said Faren Alston, the Marketing Manager for Carolina Food Co.  

No other dining hall on campus features mocktails or presents the restaurant and bar aesthetic, which is an element unique to the Golden Spur.

Alston also said the Golden Spur carries menu items students can't find anywhere else on campus, like fried pickles, mozzarella sticks and a sports-bar classic: bone-in wings

Another unique component to the Golden Spur are a few healthy dishes, said Alston. "There are sweet chili Brussels sprouts that are delicious, and are definitely a student favorite... and there is a grilled salmon bowl that's really nice."

Campus Village is a recent addition to USC’s on-campus living developments offered to incoming freshmen. The location of the Golden Spur helps to complete the community concept, Alston said. 

Eliza Spino, a first-year communications student, said the Golden Spur offers an intimate environment.

"It honestly feels like because it’s such a big school, you see familiar faces (at the Golden Spur) and it’s just definitely more of a tighter knit community." 

The sports-themed bar is also expected to be a hotspot for all things Gamecock sports and entertainment. Featuring 13 TVs, the Golden Spur creates a communal space that will hopefully host upcoming student events and watch parties, bringing Gamecock entertainment events from off-campus to on-campus, Alston said. 

Spino said she would definitely go to the Golden Spur on game days.

"I’m a big sports fan so even just the TVs and stuff is really cool,” she said. “And it’s just very good vibes to come and eat with friends and have a good laugh."  

Erin Zimmerman, a first-year marketing student, said that compared to dining halls across campus that tend to be loud and crowded, the Golden Spur offers a nice, quiet environment that students can relax and have a bite to eat.

The location of The Golden Spur being in Campus Village is helpful to drive out the congested traffic from Russell House and the middle of campus, said Alston.

To help encourage students to enjoy dining options across campus, Alston said that in partnership with Parking and Transportation as well as Business Affairs, they have started a shuttle that takes students from Russel House to Campus Village which runs from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. 

The inside of the Golden Spur with a bar in the foreground and a sign hanging behind the bar reading ‘The Golden Spur’ with a Gamecock foot in between it.

One of the Golden Spurs sign hanging behind the bar on Sept. 16, 2024. The Golden Spur, located in Campus Village, offers multiple different foods for students.

The Golden Spur also accepts Meal Plan Dollars as well as traditional payment options.

Alston said that Meal Swipes aren't currently available to purchase food, however, "the plan is to open it up for Meal Swipes on occasion... we have to be really intentional about where we can and when we can accept Meal Swipes."  

Meal Swipes give students access to the all-you-can-eat dining hall options offered on campus with the cash equivalence of $10.60 for breakfast and $14.80 for lunch and dinner. Meal Plan Dollars can be used at any dining location on campus, but unlike Meal Swipes, Meal Plan Dollars can be used at retail locations that is included in the price of students' Meal Plans at USC. 

The issue with allowing Meal Swipes is making sure the Golden Spur is able to provide a consistent quality experience, without overwhelming the kitchen, as well as accommodating every student regardless of being on a Meal Plan, said Alston. 

All construction has been funded by Carolina Food Co. in order to complete the Campus Village community that creates a communal space for all students to enjoy.

The Golden Spur is open daily from 11:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. located in Campus Village with indoor and outdoor seating and service.