Column: Civil engagement, educated voting is important for USC students as election season grows closer

With the 2024 presidential election around the corner, USC students have varying perspectives about presidential nominees and the future of our nation. Through these differences, one thing remains the same: it is evident that students are not educated on the specific policies of the presidential candidates and what their plan of action is for their administration in office. 

The Daily Gamecock recently interviewed 40 students about their opinions on Vice President Kamala Harris entering the presidential race in place of President Joe Biden. 

Students generally support Harris' campaign, The Daily Gamecock reported, but are uncertain about her stance on many policies and are concerned by the lack of clarity and specifics she has provided on various issues.

88% of college students plan to vote in the election in November, according to a study done by BestColleges.com. However, the findings from The Daily Gamecock's article demonstrate that out of these numbers, many of those voters may not even know exactly what they’re voting for. 

Many students are not worried about Harris's potential. Instead, their focus remains on the potential backlash candidate Harris could receive. Being a woman, especially a woman of color, in the male-dominated political sphere is no easy task. But, students should continue to educate themselves on Harris’ political agenda regardless of the public’s varying opinions on her candidacy. 

For many students, this is the first election they are eligible to participate in. Students researching and educating themselves on potential presidential candidates is extremely vital. Since many students are new to politics, research will lead them to find their own paths.

College students are the future of our country. The decisions made at the polls will determine the unprecedented political sphere, which affects almost everything in our lives. Civic engagement will lead this country to a brighter future that is decided by a true democracy. There is no democracy without informed and highly participated voting.

The right as a citizen of the United States is a fair and true democracy. This term is defined as “government by the people.” The people decide who serves in government, and the government regulates their lives.

The ability of citizens to control who is allowed into government is a privilege that should not be taken for granted. By educating themselves about the candidates and their policies, citizens make informed decisions, helping democracy function as intended and shaping the future of the government.

votingPQ

After being properly educated, students must go to the polls to have their voices heard. If college students do not vote with knowledge behind their decisions, how can they see the changes they hope to make? 

A study showed that students in political and social science majors are more likely to be educated on political policies but students outside of these majors may not receive a comprehensive education on politics. Students whose fields of study do not relate to these subjects should be doing more outside research. 

Students performing their own research is key for a well-educated electorate and is essential for a functioning democracy. This research should distinguish between factual and un-factual misinformation. As a voter, it is important to find accurate and authentic sources.

To properly be educated and politically aware, one must educate oneself by using unbiased information. And this has become increasingly difficult with the polarization of media. 

Unbiased sources are the most effective way of receiving information. Staying objective is the best way to learn. To form an opinion on a candidate or policy, it is imperative to hear the other side's version. This gives the voter the ability to think critically about their voting decisions instead of getting skewed to one direction based on misinformation

Learning how to find the right information can be difficult. When looking at a news source, reference the media bias chart to fully grasp the outlet’s political leanings and biases. Students should find a candidate who has policies that align with their own views. It is paramount for the younger generation to vote on what they think a party stands for, rather than what is being said on social media and the news media in general. 

The 2024 presidential election presents a critical moment where USC students should make their voices heard. As voters, it’s not just about showing up at the polls, it’s about being informed. By making educated voting decisions, students can help ensure a proper democracy. 

Now is the time for students to embrace their civic responsibility and vote with confidence, knowledge and purpose. To register to vote in this upcoming election for South Carolina residents, click here.