Column: Starbucks pumpkin spice latte is a cultural phenomenon, brings comfort and nostalgia

<p>A sign reading "Pumpkin at Last" with an iced pumpkin cream chai inside the Thomas Cooper Library Starbucks on Sept. 4, 2024. Starbucks rolled out its fall flavors at the end of August, and they will be available until November.</p>
A sign reading "Pumpkin at Last" with an iced pumpkin cream chai inside the Thomas Cooper Library Starbucks on Sept. 4, 2024. Starbucks rolled out its fall flavors at the end of August, and they will be available until November.

With summer festivities coming to an end and the weather beginning to cool down, a yearly tradition makes its way back to Starbucks in the form of a popular seasonal drink. The return of pumpkin spice drinks has become a cultural phenomenon that captures the essence of fall and ignites widespread seasonal excitement. 

Pumpkin spice drinks are released around the start of fall, acting as a transition from the summer drinks to the new season. Starbucks offers a wide variety of beverages with pumpkin spice such as the iced pumpkin cream chai and the pumpkin cream cold brew. But the most popular is the pumpkin spice latte. 

The annual arrival of pumpkin spice lattes signals the return of fall vibes and festivities. With its blend of cinnamon, ground cloves, ground ginger, nutmeg and, of course, pumpkin puree, this drink is sure to bring fall nostalgia to consumer's taste buds each year.

When the drink returns, it signals to many that it’s time to put on cozy sweaters and prepare for fall festivities.  

For students specifically, the drink arrives around the perfect time. Fall is when classes are starting back up and daily life begins to get more stressful. This is the time students crave comfort and familiarity to distract from the high demands of school.

With Starbucks being located here on campus, students have the convenience of stopping by between classes or during a study break to get that comforting fix. Students can embrace the coziness and warmth fall brings in that first sip of a pumpkin spice latte

Personally, I am a pumpkin spice fanatic. I associate the drink with nostalgia and cozy vibes, which is what I love most about it. Each year, I look forward to its return because it signifies the start of the fall season and a transition into a time of year filled with familiar feelings and traditions.

So what is really so special about this drink that makes it so significant? 

Last year, Starbucks celebrated the 20th anniversary of its pumpkin spice latte. Since 2003, it has become the iconic flavor of fall. Every year when this drink is released, there is a huge skyrocket in sales. 

The popularity of the drink contributes significantly to its cultural impact. In August of 2023, the pumpkin-flavored products drove Starbucks' sales up 8%. In fact, Starbucks sells approximately 20 million pumpkin spice lattes every year. With so many people running to stores to purchase the drink, it is bound to stir up conversation. This can create a sense of camaraderie among people as they share in the excitement of the season. 

As a result of the drink's popularity, it has transformed from a simple seasonal treat into a widely recognized symbol of fall.  

pumpkinspicePQ.png

This shows that it may not only be due to the delicious flavor of the drink, but the way it can make consumers feel. The memories of growing up and experiencing fall activities tend to make most people feel happy and comforted. And the aroma of pumpkin and cinnamon has the power to bring one back to that wholesome place filled with leaf piles and cool weather. 

It is the time of year when people are getting back into the swing of things. Whether that's school or work, a regular routine enhances the anticipation surrounding the drink's yearly release. It is something consumers can count on every year to bring relaxation and the nostalgic feeling of fall. 

And it all began at Starbucks, where coffee lovers like me fell in love with pumpkin spice lattes and gave them meaning.

So, love it or hate it, pumpkin spice lattes are a reflection of the changing seasons and the human desire for comfort and recollection.