Column: Students need to find ways to reduce stress to protect their mental health

Let’s face it, with midterms on the horizon, stress is something each college student may face.

Sometimes it can feel overwhelming, especially when a student's responsibilities seem overbearing. And for many, it can feel inescapable at times. 

Stress is something that can continue to build if not taken care of in a healthy way, creating negative impacts on emotional and physical health. As students, it is vital to reduce stress in order to keep a healthy mind and brain. 

According to the World Health Organization, stress is defined as “a state of worry or mental tension caused by a difficult situation.” There are many contributing factors of stress to college students. This may include grades, school work, a job and even finances. College students can be constantly balancing several tasks at once, potentially causing stress to increase.

Stress levels among college students are high. Only 9% of students report feeling “no stress” or “less than average stress.” This means that 89% of college students may experience some form of stress. But at what mental and physical cost are these heightened levels going to leave on students? 

Academic stress and physiological wellbeing are deeply correlated, according to a study by the National Library of Medicine. These high stress levels can be tied back to struggles with time management and an increase in the amount of time spent studying. 

The study continues to highlight how stress becomes an ongoing cycle. Students with poor mental wellbeing are more likely to perform at lower levels when it comes to academics in the collegiate setting. When they perform at these low levels, it continues to negatively impact their mental health, completing the cycle. 

Mental health is also more than just emotional wellbeing. It is vital for every stage of life since it encompasses our social and psychological needs as well. According to the Center for Disease Control, it affects how one may act, feel and even think. In terms of social needs, people who experience stress are more likely to socially isolate, causing a decline in mental health. 

Stress also places an extreme physical toll on students' bodies. After all, the human mind and body are extremely linked. According to the World Economic Forum, how one feels directly impacts their actions and how the body itself functions.

A key example of this is headaches. Tension headaches may feel like a tight band wrapping around the head. Stress can trigger these headaches, sometimes even making them worse. Stress can even slow down the body’s immune system. This means recovering from even a common cold may be more difficult for someone with higher stress levels. 

The continuation of feelings of stress over a long and consistent period of time is also known as chronic stress. This can be extremely dangerous for the mind and body. Cortisol, a hormone that the body releases when stressed, can disrupt several bodily processes. This negatively impacts mental health since it increases the risk of other diseases, such as heart and sleep problems. 

College students should be conscious of their own stress levels and when experiencing these feelings, and it is important to seek outlets to reduce it.

A graphic of a quote from columnist Kara Rottmann reads, "College students should be conscious of their own stress levels and when experiencing these feelings, and it is important to seek outlets to reduce it."

This can include different forms of self care, such as exercise and meditation.

Stress can also turn into anxiety. In order to combat these feelings of anxiousness, one can stop it at the source and limit their stressors.

Another way to reduce stress is by connecting with others. Solitude and loneliness are common feelings that arise when stress hormones are released. Loneliness, also referred to as perceived social isolation, has a negative impact on health with stress being a contributing factor. 

Stress can look different on a case to case basis. Some common symptoms include worry, inability to focus, anger, irritability and feelings of depression. When these symptoms occur, one should attempt to relax. These relaxing activities may include taking a bath, going on a walk, reading a book and even coloring.

There are many reasons as to why college students may experience abnormally high stress levels compared to other populations. It is important to reduce these levels in order to promote healthy long term health. Reducing stress also helps mental and physical well being since these are deeply rooted issues. 

The next time a student is studying for an exam or feeling overwhelmed, they should remember they should remember that they are not alone. Stress is something that many students may face on USC campus. There are plenty of resources, methods and outlets at a student's disposal to help reduce stress levels. 

Student can also seek help at USC's Center for Health and Well-Being, which is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. To schedule appointments, students should use My Health Space. Walk in and same day appointments are also available.