Column: New Gateway 737 apartment will help ease USC's student housing shortage

<p>The new Gateway 737 building, still under construction, stands across from 650 Lincoln in Columbia, S.C. on Sept 16, 2024. The new student housing complex is slated to open in Fall 2025.</p>
The new Gateway 737 building, still under construction, stands across from 650 Lincoln in Columbia, S.C. on Sept 16, 2024. The new student housing complex is slated to open in Fall 2025.

The new Gateway 737 apartment complex is coming at the perfect time as USC enrollment increases.

This modern facility will help alleviate USC's student housing shortage by providing more options tailored to student needs. Its strategic location and contemporary design make it an ideal solution for the growing demand for student housing. 

USC is no stranger to housing issues. With more students enrolling each year, on-campus housing has become difficult to secure. This can make it difficult for students to find affordable, quality housing and cause the search for housing to become a stressful process.

The opening of Gateway 737 will open up new homes to students, easing the housing issues USC has been facing. 

One significant concern for students is the high cost of housing. This new complex is relatively pricey, with its prices ranging from $1125 to $1665 monthly. But the presence of the complex will free up space in more affordable housing options. Some of those cheaper options include Greene Crossing, Park Circle and 21 Oaks, which all fall in the range of $1000 a month and lower.

Students who can afford to do so can move into this complex and leave room in other accommodations for those seeking more affordable housing in the area. This will provide those in need of budget-friendly accommodations a better chance of finding suitable options. This reallocation of housing resources can help create room in the cheaper complexes for the students who need them. 

The complex offers amenities that provide relaxing and convenient living that is useful for students. There will be a rooftop terrace that delivers a relaxing space for students to unwind, socialize and enjoy scenic views with each other. There will be a resort-style pool that presents a vacation-like escape for students to decompress and recharge on days off. Additionally, a two-story fitness space will give an opportunity for students to maintain their physical health without having to leave their homes.  

Gateway 737 is located less than half a mile from campus making it walking distance for students. This gives easy access to classes, libraries and other campus resources, enhancing students' overall educational experience. Not commuting or parking on campus can save students time and money. 

Living closer to campus also strengthens the student community. This can encourage students to engage more actively in campus life, participate in events and form meaningful connections with their peers within their proximity. Living near campus might encourage students to share experiences, enriching their time at USC.  

Being closer to campus also gives students access to the many campus events that take place throughout the year. Events such as the monthly Greene Street market, Hip-hop Wednesday, neon nights and more. Students who don't live close enough to campus in complexes such as Redpoint or Stadium Suites may not be likely to attend these events due to long commutes. 

The long-term benefits of expanding student housing options will significantly enhance the experience for future generations of students. This expansion not only alleviates housing shortages but also provides students with a wider variety of housing choices that cater to different needs and budgets. 

The building of Gateway 737 will help meet the needs of USC's growing student population, ensuring that everyone has access to comfortable and convenient living arrangements. Ultimately, this new complex will serve as a vital resource that supports individual students and the entire university community. 

new737PQ.png

The complex will open in August 2025. Students who are looking for somewhere to live next school year can now consider looking at Gateway 737.