Column: USC's lunchtime shuttle makes dining halls more accessible

<p>FILE — A student walks off the lunchtime shuttle on Greene Street on Aug. 26, 2024. The shuttle, which runs from 11 p.m. to 2 p.m on weekdays, runs between Campus Village and Russell House.</p>
FILE — A student walks off the lunchtime shuttle on Greene Street on Aug. 26, 2024. The shuttle, which runs from 11 p.m. to 2 p.m on weekdays, runs between Campus Village and Russell House.

Let’s face it, waiting in line for a meal when you're hungry isn’t ideal. Standing around for almost an hour to get your Chick-fil-A order seems to be a rite of passage on USC's campus. When it comes to dining locations on campus, sometimes students want something quick.

Even though campus can be busy during lunchtime, USC's "Lunchtime Express" has created a new sense of dining accessibility.

The lunchtime shuttle transports all students with a valid Carolina Card from Russell House to Campus Village. The shuttle, which runs every weekday from 11 p.m. to 2 p.m., was established by USC's Parking and Transportation Services. It was started in order to create a more efficient dining experience for all students during peak meal hours. 

USC students have several on-campus options as to where they can eat. One of them is Gamecock Park, an all-you-care-to-eat dining located right in the heart of campus at Russell House. Due to its location, this dining hall may be convenient for students, but it is also on the smaller side in terms of seating and options available. This creates long lines, making eating with a time constraint difficult. 

Students with a meal plan may think that retail options are the quickest way to grab a bite to eat. However, during peak lunch hours, wait times for orders can get pretty lengthy. Gamecock Park is typically busy during these times as well. When it comes to getting a meal, Russell House has the most options but is not equipped to accommodate that many students as efficiently.

Campus Village's dining hall, The Pavilion, is significantly bigger considering the fact that it has over 650 seats. The largest dining hall on USC campus is now more accessible for students, thanks to the implementation of the new shuttle system. By spreading students out to different dining halls, this cuts down possible wait times that students may face when getting their lunch in the process.

lunchtimePQ.png

The Pavilion isn't always easy to get to.

Walking to Campus Village from areas such as the Capstone House and the Darla Moore School of Business isn't quick. Getting to the actual dining hall to eat has now become faster since the shuttle creates a new, logistic and efficient way to get across campus. The specific travel time of getting a meal has been cut down significantly.

The Lunchtime Express also creates an ideal sense of convenience. Since the shuttle runs consistently during the late morning and early afternoon, students have a reliable form of transportation, rain or shine. This benefits residential and nonresidential meal plan holders since they know that the shuttle is always an option. For example, students who may not have wanted to walk to The Pavilion because of rain now have the opportunity to take the bus, avoiding getting soaked on their way to lunch. 

Many USC students also prefer to walk to get around campus. The average student may walk several thousand steps in a day, according to a study by the National Library of Medicine. Students now have the choice to walk or take the shuttle. The system positively enforces the health of USC students by relieving some of the physical stress they may face. 

Students are able to experience more dining options without getting bored of eating at the same location repetitively. This is important when it comes to fostering a positive dining experience on campus since it emphasizes the idea of students being able to have a choice. 

Since USC has more than 35 locations when it comes to dining, accessibility is vital. Campus is spread out and so are student's options. It is possible a student may only eat at dining halls such as Gibbes in Capstone and Community Table in 650 Lincoln during their entire freshman year. The shuttle system now allows them to try different options. 

USC’s Lunchtime Express has changed the game when it comes to on-campus dining options, especially during extremely busy times of day. Students are now able to get to dining halls faster, easier and more consistently.

Accessibility is key, especially when it comes to dining. The Lunchtime Express has done just that, making a more efficient and structured dining and transportation experience on USC campus in the process.