8 times Columbia has been in films: from worst to best

Columbia isn't known as a hotspot for movie production, but over the years, several films have set up shop here. The eight movies on this list may have been filmed in the same areas, but they're very different. Check this list out to see how they stack up

Columbia isn’t exactly the Hollywood of the East Coast, but it has occasionally acted as a movie set. The following films cover a variety of genres and topics, ranging from very small to moderately sized productions. They also contain a few famous actors and some recognizable places around Columbia. That alone should provide novelty value for any USC student. But are these movies any good? That's for this list to decide.

Number Eight: “Accidental Love

It should be noted that “Accidental Love” was disowned by its director, who refused to have his name on the final film. He quietly released it seven years after filming, which wasn't the best sign for a movie billed as timely political satire. It’s easy to understand why after watching the very talented cast be completely wasted on an unfunny, tasteless script that makes an offensive mockery of the healthcare issues it attempts to satirize.

The story follows a small-town waitress named Alice, who heads to Washington after she's shot in the head with a nail gun and denied surgery due to her lack of health insurance. The film calls for reforms that were made five years before it was released. Viewers are also treated to not one, but two off-putting romantic subplots.  The South Carolina State House acts as a substitute for the Capitol in D.C., where most of the story takes place, while also featuring a WIS News 10 logo. This stood out as an inexplicable lapse in a film with otherwise masterful attention to detail. A documentary about the troubled production, which employed several Columbia residents as extras and in support roles such as catering, might be great. But until we see that, “Accidental Love” stands alone as an embarrassment for film and this city.

Number Seven: “Campfire Tales”

“Campfire Tales” isn’t “good” in the traditional sense and is just too boring to consistently reach “so bad it’s good” territory. That being said, it's clear there’s a real effort and passion behind this movie, despite its limited resources, which automatically boosts it above the last entry. The horror anthology is deeply rooted in Columbia, with several cast members having been small-time local actors.

My favorite of the four segments was Uncle Steve taking on the monstrous “Satan Claus". As a young actor who’s clearly trying his best chillingly observes, that's what you get when you switch the "n" and last "a" in Santa. On quality alone, it’s hard to justify ranking “Campfire Tales” any higher. However, if for whatever reason a viewer is in the mood for a no-budget, cheesy 90s horror movie, it’s worth a watch.

Number Six: “Chattahoochee”

“Chattahoochee” follows Emmett Foley, played by Gary Oldman, a Korean War veteran suffering from Post-traumatic Stress Disorder who is institutionalized following a suicide attempt. Florida State Hospital is depicted using the old Bull Street State Hospital Campus, with various locations in Columbia and Newberry used to depict the film’s Northwest Florida setting.

The premise, purportedly based on a true story, sounds compelling but is mishandled. “Chattahoochee” is full of hammy, overacted performances, even by the usually excellent Frances McDormand, who turns in some of the worst work of her career. That, along with an irritating, melodramatic score and a plodding, predictable narrative, make for an uninteresting film whose admittedly noble goals have been accomplished much more effectively elsewhere.

Number Five: “Death Sentence”

While star Kevin Bacon’s arrival in Columbia led to some sizzling headlines, this extremely violent revenge thriller is undercooked. However, it gets so ridiculous it’s fun to watch anyway. “Death Sentence” was not only filmed in Columbia but is actually set here, prominently featuring a downtown parking garage in an oddly long one-take sequence.

Unintentionally funny conversations, ridiculous plot developments and bad acting don’t help the film in terms of quality. But director James Wan, who made his name with the “Fast and Furious” films, injects the film with a frenetic pace that makes it hard not to appreciate “Death Sentence” on some level. To quote rogerebert.com commenter Ifitmakesyouhappy, “I think the larger lesson of this film is that Columbia, South Carolina offers as much violence as any major metropolitan area.”

Number Four: “Staying Together”

“Staying Together” is an unambitious, small-scale story that efficiently utilizes its small budget and mostly solid cast that inhabits its admittedly simple roles to craft a mostly effective family-centered narrative. The film uses Columbia and Ridgeway to create its small-town setting. The script isn’t great and includes some truly cringeworthy, terrible dialogue, but the cast usually makes it work with solid delivery and can sell the more emotional moments. “Staying Together” will never be anyone’s favorite film, but it’s alright.

This illustration shows a roll of film crossing the back in front of a blue background. Within the little film squares are the names of the movies listed in the article, in best to worst ranking from the top of the image to the bottom.

Number Three: “Renaissance Man

“Renaissance Man,” which uses Fort Jackson to depict the fictional Fort McClane, is carried by star Danny DeVito. DeVito’s presence and effort elevate a formulaic script with an energetic performance as a reluctant English teacher at a military base who’s tasked with getting undereducated soldiers up to state with basic reading comprehension.

One of these soldiers was played by rapper Marky Mark, who's arguably now better known as Mark Wahlberg. He also contributed to the soundtrack. “Renaissance Man” is incredibly predictable and corny with cartoonish antagonists, but it’s also a pleasant, feel-good story that will probably leave the viewer in a good mood.

Number Two: "Modern Love"

“Modern Love” is another low-budget film, and clearly the best of that group. It was filmed largely in Columbia and written, directed by and starring Robby Benson, who was teaching at USC at the time of production. The story follows Greg and his urologist-turned-wife Billie as they navigate marriage and parenthood. This comedy-drama is deeply strange and tonally inconsistent but undeniably entertaining. I’d recommend it off the bizarre ending alone, though your enjoyment may vary. It cannot be accused of being boring.

Number One: “The Program”

Is “The Program” a masterpiece? No, but it is an earnest, heartfelt and engaging story that also happens to use USC’s campus and an instantly recognizable Williams-Brice Stadium to depict the fictional ESU. James Caan stars as a head coach with his job on the line. Coincidently, Caan would years later make a brilliant career decision by quitting "Accidental Love" shortly after filming started. It also features Halle Berry in an early role.

This college football drama follows a team that's been struggling on and off the field, and how they try to improve. It isn’t always totally realistic and can feel over the top on occasion. But, the narrative works within the world of the film and remains emotionally involving thanks to committed performances from the ensemble cast. USC being prominently featured didn’t automatically make “The Program” rank higher, but it’s fitting it ended up taking the number one spot.