Freshman forward Katie Shea Collins looks to make mark on Gamecock women's soccer team

<p>FILE — Freshman forward Katie Shea Collins chases down the ball in the game against Clemson on Sept. 5, 2024. The Gamecocks and Tigers tied 1-1.</p>
FILE — Freshman forward Katie Shea Collins chases down the ball in the game against Clemson on Sept. 5, 2024. The Gamecocks and Tigers tied 1-1.

As a new member, one freshman forward carved her role on the soccer field, leading the team in shots-on-goal percentage.

Freshman forward Katie Shae Collins started playing soccer when her mom signed her up at the YMCA at a very young age. She said she thinks her mother did it to make her "get some exercise,” but it worked out for her.  

“Ever since then, I’ve loved anything that has to do with a ball, and so soccer became my favorite thing,” Collins said.

Collins said she loves the nature of the game and how it allows her to be a part of a united team against a common enemy. She said she enjoyed competition even as a kid.

"I grew up with a twin brother so literally any sport he did, I would want to do better,” said Collins. 

Growing up involved in friendly competition allowed her to find joy in competing as a team, she said.

“It's just so much better winning when you’re winning as a team,” Collins said. “Now, every game I’m so excited because we get to go out there and just play our hearts out.” 

To make her mark on the team, Collins said her ability to be a versatile player is important to her.

"A big thing I pride myself is even though I'm a forward, I make sure I defend a lot," said Collins.

Collins played varsity soccer at Pope John II Prep School in Hendersonville, Tennessee where she was the leader in career goals with 106 goals. She also scored the most goals in a season with 44 goals for her school.

Collins earned the title of All-Summer County MVP in 2022 and 2023, All-State First Team in 2022 and All-Region Team from 2020 to 2024. She is also the Gatorade Tennessee Soccer Player of the Year for the 2023-2024 season. 

Collins committed to the Gamecocks as a 4-star recruit in her class. She said two things drew her to USC 

“My two main reasons were one, the team atmosphere, I knew when I came on my visit that this is a family, and that’s exactly what I need,” Collins said. “And then my second reason is that eventually, I want to go pro. That is my main goal, and South Carolina almost every year has put people into the professional league." 

Collins had the opportunity to represent the country as a player for the women's U19 USYNT team in Chile for the Pan American games where she earned a bronze medal. She was also called upon again to play for the U20 team this past June. Collins said the experience was "eye-opening."

"I had an amazing time at the Pan American games ... The most important thing was that I learned so much about my game," Collins said. "I also got hands-on experience playing with pros ... I learned a lot, and they challenged me."

Collins played her college debut against the Furman Paladins at Stone Stadium on Aug. 18 where she scored the second-fastest goal in school history along with a hat trick. The Gamecocks would go on to win 5-1 against the Paladins to open the season.

pull-quotes-KATIESHEA.png

"After scoring the first goal, it was like a dream come true," Collins said. "And then I ended up scoring two others because my team played me amazing balls. They could not have fed me the ball more."

Since then, Collins has played in two games and started in the game against the Clemson Tigers. Collins assisted fifth-year forward Catherine Barry for a goal that gave the Gamecocks a short-lived lead during the game. This was the only goal the Gamecocks scored in the game. 

Collins said that she knew the game would be a big deal. She said she had heard a lot about the rivalry between the Gamecocks and the Tigers.

"I think it's going to be a great game, and I hope a lot of people come and cheer for us," Collins said. 

The attendance for the second game of the Palmetto Series set a record for the third-highest attended game at Stone Stadium in program history with 6,050 fans. The game would end in a 1-1 draw after a late goal in the last minute of the game from Clemson. 

Collins had missed the past 3 games with an apparent injury and was cleared to return against the Tigers. Head coach Shelly Smith said she was excited for the player's return.

"It's great to have her back. She was gone for two games on the road and another here," Smith said. "She did a great job tonight, she set up that goal and between her and (Barry), I think they can be a great pair together." 

Smith hopes to see Collins continue to improve as the Gamecocks head into conference play and compete for the rest of the season.

"Everyday she's going to be out here improving, and it's going to make it that much better," Smith said. "I'm excited to see how she grows because she definitely does take the information in and apply it."