Review: Columbia-based band Homemade Haircuts dishes out a phenomenal new EP

<p>A photo illustration of the Homemade Haircuts EP on a phone on Sept. 5, 2024. Homemade Haircuts is a local Columbia band.</p>
A photo illustration of the Homemade Haircuts EP on a phone on Sept. 5, 2024. Homemade Haircuts is a local Columbia band.

EP: "Homemade Haircuts Goes Swimming"

Band: Homemade Haircuts

Release Date: Aug. 23, 2024

Rating: A-

Homemade Haircuts made waves with their latest EP, “Homemade Haircuts Goes Swimming.” The Columbia-based indie rock band is composed of lead vocalist/guitarist Bob Magee, drummer Blake Hunter, lead guitarist Brett Nash and bassist Paisley Marie. They created another amazing soundtrack that's perfect for playing on weekend lake trips or for moments that feel like a summer beach movie. 

The groovy EP, released on Aug. 23, is their first EP since “OSLO,” which came out in 2022. The five songs total 16 minutes, providing just the right amount of time to showcase each of their unique sounds. The EP begins with “Great Lakes,” a song about longing and memories of past relationships.

"Great Lakes"

“Great Lakes” reels the listener in with its distorted sound and lively tempo, as if the band is playing underwater. Moments later, the music clears up, allowing listeners to hear the smooth electric guitar and bright drum kit. Magee sings, “Living in a dream’s got my heart sore / Is it better if we just wake up / I think I better just wake up.” The lyrics suggest a desire for a better life, where one isn't tied up in heartbreak, and the need for action to achieve it.

"Sharkteeth"

The second song, “Sharkteeth,” follows with a similar tempo and laid-back melody. Marie and Magee take turns on the mic, representing two different characters in a situation-ship that leaves both individuals feeling hollow.

With a beautiful yet melancholic guitar riff setting the scene, Marie sings about a girl who is heartbroken to discover her love has cheated on her. Now I’m crying in the back of a movie theater / He’s lying when he says he doesn’t think about her.” Magee then enters, portraying the boy who broke her heart, and the music mimics the beginning of the song. “Don’t complicate it, I just need a friend / I want you too but it’s so hard when she’s out there.”

"Guana Beach" 

The band's third song, “Guana Beach,” is purely instrumental and demonstrates a creative and experimental approach to indie rock. Imagine entering an altered state of consciousness while lying on a beach, with surfers riding past in the setting sun.

There’s a variety of instrumentation that adds a rainbow of beauty to the song, such as a warped guitar, intense drums and a persistent bass guitar. Throughout the track, the band adds little twists to keep it exciting by shifting tempos, introducing new percussion and changing melodies.

"Waterfall"

The melody and sound of the EP's fourth song, “Waterfall,” are pleasant but feel repetitive compared to the previous tracks, especially with the groove of the electric guitar and drums.

While the beginning of the song is somewhat stagnant, since it feels like only the lyrics change, the energy picks up towards the end, and the vocals and instrumentation become rowdier. Magee sings, “Don’t you know I fall asleep so easy? / It’s not hard, you’ve just got to let it go / I can show you how to do it / Sink right in, there’s not much to it.” The lyrics signify the importance of relinquishing what holds a person down in life, whatever that may be.

"Swimming Pool"

Closing the EP with the song “Swimming Pool,” Homemade Haircuts delivers a heart-racing and impressive finale. Listeners are immediately drawn in by the same distorted electric guitar heard in the opener, followed by an incredible jam session between the lead guitar, drums and bass that makes one's head bop. The band truly saved the best for last and it is clear that the members poured all their passion and energy into this track, leaving listeners playing it on repeat.

The instrumentation alone is enough to keep anyone listening, but the song's lyrics add even more depth. Magee finishes the song with, "Tie your brick 'round both my ankles / Then act like you can't see me drowning / You're a great white shark / And I'm a little minnow, little minnow." The theme focuses on how other people in one's life can weigh them down, leaving them feeling powerless, building upon the previous song.

Homemade Haircuts delivered fans with an immersive EP that will not be forgotten anytime soon. This EP tells a story of longing, heartbreak, regret, and letting go, all underscored by beautiful orchestration. 

While it was only five songs, the track gives a glimpse of Homemade Haircuts' future, and it looks extremely promising. The band's last EP, "OSLO," showed that Homemade Haircuts had the potential to blossom into a distinguished band. They hit it out of the ballpark with "Homemade Haircuts Goes Swimming," demonstrating not only their immense potential but also their promise of becoming a prominent figure in the indie-rock scene.

A- Rating Graphic - Stock