Students weigh in on Vice President Kamala Harris as Democratic presidential nominee

Vice President Kamala Harris has taken the Democratic nomination spot after President Joe Biden dropped out of the presidential race in late July. 

The Daily Gamecock interviewed 40 students to see how they feel regarding Harris' entrance into the race.

Of the students interviewed almost all said that they were registered to vote. Overall, students at USC have mixed perspectives as this election grows nearer. 

College students make up a large percentage of voters in this upcoming election, so it is important to understand how the younger voters feel about this change and for many this will be their first time voting in a presidential election, students said. Those same students said that Harris' entrance into the race brought a new possibility. 

Out of the 40 students interviewed, 39 said that they feel that nominating Harris to be the democratic candidate was the right move for the party. They said they feel that she was the best possible outcome for the democratic party.

"I think we just need a new set of people in general, I'm not really for Trump or Kamala. I think that we need a younger generation," said Jaedyn Swails, a first-year undecided major. 

While Swails said she isn't fully in support of Harris, other students are looking forward to the Vice President's candidacy.

I’m very excited," first-year neuroscience student Anna Schauer said. "It’s good to see that she’s a woman and a woman of color — and she is — able to have that kind of position that I think the world deserves at this moment.”

Some students believe that she is the best option for the job, and many are excited about the possible doors her campaign may open for underrepresented individuals. Some also believe that she is a better option than President Joe Biden, as well as a better option than the current Republican candidate, former President Donald Trump.

Four students also said they believe that her younger age will likely work in her favor when running against older candidates.

I kind of got this feeling of hope (when Harris was announced as Democratic Nominee) because the whole issue that I’ve been having is that all of these presidential candidates lately have been very, very old,” second-year chemistry student Noel Britton said.

A person looking at the official Kamala Harris website with the "Meet Vice President Kamala Harris" section visible.

A photo illustration of a person looking at the official Kamala Harris website on Sept. 8, 2024. Kamala Harris is the Democratic presidential candidate for the 2024 election.

While most students said they are excited to see her as the nominee, they don’t fully know her stance on many policies. Students seem to support her campaign but have concerns about the lack of clarity and specifics she has put forward on her view of issues.

She’s a little sketchy, I think. I mean, I’m not entirely sure about her policies, which kind of does concern me,” first-year exercise science student Giulia Giardina said.

Other concerns are less about her policies and potential as a candidate and more about the potential hate she will face as a woman of color.

I do have concerns about some hate that she could face, but I do think that since she was Vice President previously, she does have a lot of experience,” first-year retail management student Alayna Champ said.

Two students said they're worried about what effect Harris’ late entrance into the race could have on the outcome of the election.

As far as her becoming president, I don’t think that she will … just because the fact that she came in so last minute, and so that’s gonna lead to a lot of more people going to the Republican side,” first-year computer engineering student Cameron McGill said.

While Harris has gained traction from many younger voters, there are still going to be challenges as the election gets close, especially since there are voters that seem to lean more conservative, three students said.

I definitely think she does stand a chance, especially with the younger demographic and millennials, but (other voters), they really liked Trump for what he did for the economy,” fourth-year marketing student Lauren Baker said.

A majority of students believe that Harris has a chance when it comes to this election, and others believe that she will not be so lucky.

I like to stay optimistic that she does (stand a chance). I don’t really know whether or not that optimism is false, but I like to keep it on the bright side,” second-year English student Hannah Magner said. 

Editor's Note: Nat Campbell contributed to the reporting in this article.