USC announces campus accommodations for students still facing impacts from Hurricane Helene

<p>A fallen tree outside DeSaussure Hall with caution tape around it on the University of South Carolina Horseshoe on Sept. 27, 2024. Trees and other debris were scattered across campus after Hurricane Helene made landfall.</p>
A fallen tree outside DeSaussure Hall with caution tape around it on the University of South Carolina Horseshoe on Sept. 27, 2024. Trees and other debris were scattered across campus after Hurricane Helene made landfall.

USC has announced some campus accommodations for students still dealing with impacts of Hurricane Helene, such as continued power outages and contaminated well-water. 

Thomas Cooper Library will be open 24-hours on Monday and Tuesday for students who need a place to study and access WiFi. 

Locker rooms at Strom Thurmond Wellness and Fitness Center will be opened to students, faculty and staff who need a place to shower. 

A CarolinaCard is required for entry to both Thomas Cooper Library and Strom Thurmond Wellness and Fitness Center.

The second floor of Russell House will remain open 24 hours as a dining and study space that is open to all faculty, staff, students and families. 

"This means that there will be no gap in food availability in Russell House, and Chick-Fil-A and other brands will operate until 11 p.m.," the announcement reads.

Additionally, dining has extended operations in Gamecock Park for the next 48 hours. Feathers and Flames, a vendor in Gamecock Park, will open at 11 p.m. and continue serving until 7 a.m.

No class attendance will be recorded Monday and Tuesday and scheduled assignments and exams for those days will be postponed. Students are encouraged to reach out to their instructors to learn more.

To better assess the needs of students living off-campus, students are encouraged to fill out this form.

Community members who would like to help those in need may donate to the CommUNITY shop, which will go to assisting faculty, staff and students.

"Please know that our Emergency Management team is coordinating with our USC system campuses and state officials to determine how we can best assist other institutions in the coming days and weeks," the announcement said.