Women's basketball forward Ashlyn Watkins charged with assault, kidnapping

<p>FILE — Then sophomore forward Ashlyn Watkins watches for the rebound during South Carolina’s game against Presbyterian in round one of the 2024 NCAA Women’s Tournament on March 22, 2024 at Colonial Life Arena. Watkins was arrested and charged with assault and kidnapping on Saturday.</p>
FILE — Then sophomore forward Ashlyn Watkins watches for the rebound during South Carolina’s game against Presbyterian in round one of the 2024 NCAA Women’s Tournament on March 22, 2024 at Colonial Life Arena. Watkins was arrested and charged with assault and kidnapping on Saturday.

Ashlyn Watkins, a junior forward on the South Carolina women's basketball team, was arrested and charged on Saturday with first-degree assault and battery and kidnapping following an incident.

The incident took place at 650 Lincoln St., according to USC Police arrest warrants issued obtained by The Daily Gamecock. The news of Watkins' arrest and charges was first reported by WLTX.

According to the warrant, Watkins assaulted the victim by "forcefully grabbing her face, pulling her by her arms, and pushing her" and, at one point, "picked up the victim against her will and carried her." Watkins also "grabbed the victim's head and forced her to walk down the hall, thus controlling her movement while preventing her from leaving," according to the report.

The victim then got away from Watkins and pulled a fire alarm, bringing police and fire personnel to the scene. The victim was treated for non-life threatening injuries, according to the warrant. The incident was captured by video surveillance.

WLTX reported that Watkins was detained around 3 p.m. The same report said she was granted a $30,000 personal recognizance bond and was confirmed to have left by 3:30 p.m. She was also in court for a bond hearing Saturday afternoon.

Watkins has appeared in 70 games, starting in nine of them, across two seasons with the Gamecocks. She has averaged 7.3 points, 5.4 rebounds and 1.3 blocks per game. She recorded 351 points, 280 rebounds and 91 blocks in 38 appearances to help South Carolina win its third-ever national championship.