Analysis: Late rally helps No. 23 Gamecocks women's soccer team take win against Florida, 2-0

<p>Junior defender Gracie Falla kicks the ball down the field during South Carolina's match against Florida on Oct. 10, 2024 at Stone Stadium. The conference matchup ended with the Gamecocks defeating the Gators 2-0.</p>
Junior defender Gracie Falla kicks the ball down the field during South Carolina's match against Florida on Oct. 10, 2024 at Stone Stadium. The conference matchup ended with the Gamecocks defeating the Gators 2-0.

The South Carolina women’s soccer team won a close 2-0 against the Florida Gators on Thursday night at Stone Stadium.

The Gamecocks sought to improve its offensive game, coming off its 1-1 tie to Vanderbilt. The team looked forward to improving on last week to have a better result than a tie in this game. 

After a slow start in the first half, the team scored both their goals in the last 15 minutes. 

The Gamecocks had an impressive defensive performance through the whole game, holding the Gators to zero goals and only making junior goalie Christina Tsaousis save the ball one time in the match. The Gamecocks' aggression in the team's play worked out in the long run. 

We battled and a lot of the 50/50s, we competed for,” head coach Shelly Smith said. “ So I thought our defense handled it very well.” 

Fouls changing momentum for both sides  

wosocfsggatorsreal.png

Florida racked up 11 fouls through the back-and-forth matchup. While South Carolina did have seven fouls, Florida’s mistakes in the fouls led to defensive lapses that helped let the Gamecocks pull away with the game.

The Gamecocks had struggles as well, putting up multiple offside penalties, having five to the Gators' none.

“We knew going in that was gonna be an issue,” Smith said. “That’s how they play. Most teams have the most offsides against Florida, so we needed to battle that and make sure our running was better.”

Penalties helped contribute to the Gamecocks slow start in the first half. 

The Gamecocks' turning point

The Gamecocks struggled offensively the whole game, putting up six shots total and five shots on the goal in the first half, yet none of them found the back of the net. There were also eight different corner shot opportunities, but the team struggled to capitalize on them. 

It wasn't until the 78th minute when senior defender Emma Bucci scored the team's first goal, rallying the fans back into the game and giving the momentum to the Gamecocks. 

“I think it was just a crucial moment for a turning point for this game,” Bucci said. “Honestly, it was just a complete team effort front to back.”

Once this momentum began to build, fifth-year Forward Catherine Barry took full advantage and scored in the 84th minute.

This last-minute rallies on offense helped South Carolina gain the only points of the night in quick fashion.

South Carolina Defense stands strong

The Gamecock defense proved themselves to be excellent during the game with a scoreless performance from the Gators.

Through the first half, Tsaousis didn’t have to save the ball once, showing the power behind the team's defense. 

“I thought they did great,” Smith stated. “We gave very few chances and looks to them, and they’re a very offensive team.” 

The Gators put up seven shots total and only had one shot-on goal. The Gamecocks held the Gators scoreless, despite allowing five corner kicks

What’s next? 

Catch the Gamecocks in an away-game against Ole Miss in Oxford, Mississippi on Oct. 13 at 3:00 p.m.