Associate VP of Student Health and Well-Being charged with employment tax crimes, resigns from USC

<p>A picture of the Center for Health and Well-Being on June 14, 2022. Mari Ross-Alexander, USC's associate vice president for Student Health and Well-Being was indicted on Oct. 16 by a federal grand jury for withholding employment taxes from the IRS.</p>
A picture of the Center for Health and Well-Being on June 14, 2022. Mari Ross-Alexander, USC's associate vice president for Student Health and Well-Being was indicted on Oct. 16 by a federal grand jury for withholding employment taxes from the IRS.

Mari Ross-Alexander, USC's associate vice president for Student Health and Well-Being, has resigned from USC after she was indicted by a federal grand jury in Nashville, Tennessee, on Oct. 16 for withholding more than $1 million in employment taxes from the IRS.

Alexander was charged with 11 counts of willfully failing to account for and pay over employment taxes to the IRS from 2015 to 2020 when she was the owner and president of Ross Behavioral Group, a mental health counseling center in Tennessee. Alexander allegedly withheld taxes from employee paychecks that she did not pay to the IRS, according to a release from the U.S. Department of Justice.

Alexander controlled Ross Behavioral Group's financial affairs, according to the release. She was responsible for withholding Social Security, medicare and federal income taxes from employee's wages.

USC hired Alexander in April of 2023 to develop a more "holistic, multidisciplinary approach to student health and well-being." Alexander served as the associate vice chancellor of student affairs at UNC Charlotte before coming to Columbia and was named the 2018 Woman of Influence by the Nashville Business Journal. She has worked at USC for a little more than a year. 

Alexander could not be found on USC's staff directory as of Tuesday.

Alexander's last day at USC will be on Oct. 23, according to university spokesperson Collyn Taylor. Alexander could not be immediately reached for comment.

Alexander could face a maximum penalty of five years in prison on each count if found guilty and a period of supervised release, restitution and monetary penalties.

Editor's note: This is a developing story. Check back for more updates.