Column: Collegiate journalists are the voice of campus, community

<p>A photo illustration of a person writing in a journal on Oct. 1, 2024. Student journalists play a vital role in keeping members of the campus community educated and informed of what is happening on campus and in the surrounding community.</p>
A photo illustration of a person writing in a journal on Oct. 1, 2024. Student journalists play a vital role in keeping members of the campus community educated and informed of what is happening on campus and in the surrounding community.

The clacking of somebody typing on a keyboard fills the air, joined by the whispers of deep discussions. In the corner, someone scribbles down ideas across the whiteboard. The Daily Gamecock newsroom is a revolving door of ideas, planning and discourse to produce news for its community. 

It's the hard work that its staffers put in that is what truly brings the USC student newspaper to life. Many Universities may have publications like this one. These student journalists that report for collegiate newspapers have the ability to tell stories in a personal and compelling way. 

Student journalists have insight into student life on campus because they are students themselves. They can cover what many students may care about. 

Just a state away at UNC Chapel Hill, The Daily Tar Heel was able to make student's voices heard. After a shooting on campus, the student paper brought to light how this event impacted campus through their front page, which was a combination of texts different students sent to their family and loved ones during their lockdown. These published words of other students in the form of their messages circulated across the country.

This year, student journalists at The Daily Gamecock reported on a DEI bill that, if passed, would affect education in all parts of South Carolina, including USC's campus. In the piece, students were interviewed on how they felt about the changes this bill would bring if it was passed. These students were unhappy, calling for change and activism. 

Moreover, student journalists are able to report on issues within their university. They act as a vital source for students and faculty to be educated on news happening on their own campuses. 

In a collaboration with the Post and Courier's investigative team, writers at The Daily Gamecock were able to be a platform for students experiencing high levels of mold in their dorm rooms. The article brought attention an important issue that many students were facing. Students who lived in dorms that had high levels of mold and maybe even felt like their voice wasn't being heard, were able to feel seen. 

When Hurricane Helene recently hit, many universities in western North Carolina were impacted. The student newspaper at Appalachian State University was able to report on the storm's impact to the school community, including announcing closures for the university in the hurricane's aftermath. 

In the Daily Gamecock's own news room, it is a collaborative effort when news breaks. Since staffers are involved on campus, it is easy to share sources and connections for our peers' stories. Ideas bounce around and names are thrown out. It takes great discussion to outline a story from start to finish and wouldn't be possible without the entire team involved in the process. 

Student journalists can report on topics that members of campus may be passionate about since they are students themselves. They can give a first-hand account of what is relevant and important to other students. When it comes down to writing about students, their pieces may be more impactful because they are able to put themselves in another student's shoes. 

STUDENTJOURPQ2.png

These student writers create a platform. They act as the voice for their school community and surrounding college-town. Their work is deeply personal, since they write on issues that many readers are able to relate to on a first hand basis. It only takes one writer, one article, to be the voice for thousands at a University.