Column: Students should stay informed, prepare for civic engagement

<p>A photo of a person relaxing by the pool and reading the latest print edition of The Daily Gamecock newspaper.</p>
A photo of a person relaxing by the pool and reading the latest print edition of The Daily Gamecock newspaper.

In universities, students engage with diverse subjects, challenging their skills and broadening their perspectives. But the responsibility to learn extends beyond the classroom.

Young adults represent the next generation of leaders, making it critical for them to stay informed about the world around them. As future leaders, professionals and voters, they have a responsibility to engage with national and global conflicts. Engaging with this civic duty fosters a sense of responsibility and empowerment, reminding individuals that their voices and actions play a crucial role in shaping the future.

Column_morganDunn.png

Understanding current events fosters civic responsibility. Civic responsibility is the duty of citizens to participate actively in society. This includes being informed about social and political issues through news consumption.

A 2005 study by Portland State University found students who are more aware of diversity and social justice issues are generally more actively engaged in practices such as voting and advocacy. And those findings extend into the modern day. When students have awareness, they may be more motivated to create change.

Keeping up with current events, especially during the election season, is crucial for students who are about to step into civic life and become active participants in their communities. Informed voting is vital to democracy so it is important for voters to stay up to date. Political knowledge allows voters to evaluate candidates based on their platforms and past actions, fostering a more thoughtful voting process.

Young adults are typically new to the political process and need to understand the information on the candidates they will be voting for. To get this information, they need to pay attention to what these candidates are doing and what they have done. The way students engage with this information can significantly impact election outcomes. One-third of Generation Z voters said they wished they had known more about the candidates and their positions in the 2022 election, according to SocialShere's survey data.

Activism plays a vital role in shaping a more balanced society. When there are unfair conflicts students should use their voices to spread awareness and advocate for change in this world. Students' voices carry more weight than they think. Their ability to inform their peers on issues fosters opportunities for real change to occur. 

In recent years, the United States has seen many forms of activism. Activism is the foundation of protest, according to the National Woman's History Museum. History shows protesting and activism create meaningful change that couldn't be done without informed participants in the community.

This collective awareness is powerful and often leads to a movement of support for various causes. In 2022, climate protests across the United States emerged from students' concerns about the unequal treatment of climate issues. This movement illustrates how students can unite on university campuses and advocate for pressing social issues important to them. The results were successful for the climate activists, showing active civic engagement can cause real change.

Not many students stay up to date with current events. A 2023 Pew Research Center study found that Americans' interest in current events may be on the decline. This may be because these events can be overwhelming and a lot to take in for someone just starting to consume news. This, however, should not discourage students from wanting to stay up to date. 

Students have all the information they could need at their fingertips but may not be taking advantage of it. Many likely want to spend their time consuming entertainment. However, when students don't take the steps to inform themselves they miss out on critical knowledge that shapes their understanding of the world around them.  By not actively seeking out information, students risk losing the opportunity to develop informed perspectives essential to becoming engaged citizens in a democratic society.

But some students don't realize looking for news extends beyond scrolling on social media. 74% of Generation Z receives their news through social media, according to The American Press Institute. This may be because this is an easy way to access information quickly and share it widely. While social media is a quick and easy source, it may not be the best one.

Reliable news sources can even be downloaded on apps, making it convenient for students who may not have much time to read. It is smart to evaluate news sources for bias and accuracy. A good way to check news sources for reliability is by using a media bias chart. 

Students are the future and need to know what is happening in the world around them. Keeping up with current events should be important to everyone. It is important to care about one another and participate in beneficial discussions.

Learning something new satisfies curiosity. It is important to read current events and stay informed so students complete their civic duties.

Editors note: This article has been updated to include more recent data.