Dawn Staley prepares South Carolina for new season, has eyes on leadership, growth

Gamecocks women's basketball coach Dawn Staley talks to the media about preseason practices, challenges and potential.

<p>FILE - Head coach Dawn Staley talks to her team during a timeout in the third quarter of South Carolina’s game against Presbyterian in round one of the 2024 NCAA Women’s Tournament on March 22, 2024 at Colonial Life Arena. The Gamecocks will play their first exhibition game of the 2024-2025 season against Memphis in Memphis, Tennessee on Oct. 15.</p>
FILE - Head coach Dawn Staley talks to her team during a timeout in the third quarter of South Carolina’s game against Presbyterian in round one of the 2024 NCAA Women’s Tournament on March 22, 2024 at Colonial Life Arena. The Gamecocks will play their first exhibition game of the 2024-2025 season against Memphis in Memphis, Tennessee on Oct. 15.

South Carolina women’s basketball head coach Dawn Staley is returning to the sideline after a busy offseason. 

When asked about her mindset and her opinions on pre-season, Staley said she is feeling energized. 

"We're back into the swing of things,” Staley said. “And you know this really is my happy place is to be in practice ... where we can continue to make our fans happy."

Staley’s plan to fill the gaps

Former center Kamila Cardoso was drafted to the Chicago Sky, and a gap in the roster was left behind. 

"It's hard," Staley said. "We've had go-to post players for the past ten years. I don't necessary think we have that right now, just we've got some younger players that have some potential to be, but they haven't had enough experience ... For right now it's just going to have to be a collective effort."

Staley said that no clear leader has emerged yet, but senior forward Sania Feagin and senior guards Bree Hall and Te-Hina Paopao are names to watch

"I don't think anybody really wants to step into that role," Staley said. "It's going to come from a lot of different places. Feagin's doing a lot of talking, Breezy's got to step up into that role a little bit, Pao, so I think it's by committee, so I think they'll take turns in voicing what needs to be said out there on the court."

A new season brings new players, and when asked about how the coaches help freshmen adjust to an overwhelming environment, Staley said she believes that treating players equally is what makes them feel better acclimated.  

After her national championship filled freshman year, Staley noted that now-sophomore guard MiLaysia Fulwiley is continuing to grow in practice and has taken a step forward from a maturity standpoint. 

"She takes [practice] a lot more serious," Staley said. "And that's what you want in a young player ... We know she is a generational talent, we know that, there's no doubt about that ... it's all this stuff that's underneath being generational that you got to consistently be good at."

Looking to more of the upperclassmen, junior guard Raven Johnson's competitiveness has Staley impressed.

Johnson told March Madness in an interview post-National Championship that it "was the best thing to ever happen to her," and that she used that as "motivation ... to get in the gym and get better ... and improve on my game." 

"She's very consistent ... very, very competitive," Staley said. "The whole group is outwardly competitive."

South Carolina women’s basketball head coach Dawn Staley.png

While Feagan did not come home with any official awards in her junior season as a Gamecock, her experience this offseason at the FIBA USA 3x3 World Cup is where she earned MVP and a gold-medal. Feagan holds the Gamecock record for the most games played in a season, but her 38 games last season didn’t give her enough "consistent time" in the game, said Staley.

Staley hopes her growing confidence will help her aspire to the next level, and in utilizing her voice on the court. 

Team’s mentality: now the chase

The Gamecocks' training will not change now that they’re no longer underdogs, Staley said. 

When asked about how the outward competitiveness of this year’s team sets them apart from previous rosters for South Carolina, Staley says the group is “unafraid” in believing in themselves. Staley is hesitant to use stats to measure confidence, but she’s focused on the full team’s potential.

The Gamecocks face fresh challenges that come with holding the #1 AP Ranking and undefeated 38-0 record. Staley hopes the team can make better decisions on the court this coming season. 

"I want us to probably get mad that they're getting beat,” Staley said. “Like get mad at the [opponents], take that up to another level ... we beat them every so often but not enough to make us feel real good about what we're doing, and that's not a bad thing."

Looking forward and examples of success

Staley highlights her pride in her former player A’ja Wilson. Wilson, now a center for the Las Vegas Aces, was praised by Staley for how she continues improve. And on Sept. 22 she was named the WNBA MVP for the third time. 

"She's the best player in the world,” Staley said. “It’s great to see her actually impose her will on everything that is her opposition."

Staleys hopes more players aspire to her level and that the WNBA playoffs can have as many Gamecocks as possible. 

The Gamecocks will play their first exhibition game Oct. 15 in Memphis, Tennessee against the Memphis Tigers on ESPN+.