'It's a no-brainer': Gamecock men's soccer international players share why they chose South Carolina

<p>FILE — Members of the Gamecock men’s soccer team huddle together after their pregame ceremony at Eugene Stone Stadium on Aug. 25, 2024. The team has 13 international players on its roster for the 2024 season. </p>
FILE — Members of the Gamecock men’s soccer team huddle together after their pregame ceremony at Eugene Stone Stadium on Aug. 25, 2024. The team has 13 international players on its roster for the 2024 season.

The South Carolina men's soccer team has 13 international players on the roster, representing nearly half the team — a number which has increased in the past few years since head coach Tony Annan was hired. With talent from Europe, the Caribbean and South America, the team draws a significant number of international athletes seeking opportunities to play soccer in college.

The Gamecocks hold a winning record of 7-2-2 while being 2-2 in Sun Belt Conference play, with some of its international athletes making some of the most major contributions so far in the 2024 season.  

Having scored 27 goals in 11 games this season, the Gamecocks offense has been strong. Senior forward Harrison Myring leads the Gamecock’s attack, with seven goals and one assist this season.

A native of Leicester, England, Myring has thrived as top scorer after being named team captain this season. Myring has found belonging in his four years with the team, he said. 

“The environment around the school, the fans that we have, the team culture that we have inside the changing room," Myring said. "I feel like every year it’s got better and better, and it’s really brought me into feeling like a Gamecock.” 

Myring’s decision to come to the United States was driven by a desire for new experiences, he said.

"I love traveling, I love seeing new places and the opportunity coming out to America gives is meeting new people," Myring said.

The forward also said he appreciates the intensity of college soccer compared to Europe, noting certain features and dynamics of the game including play style.

“I think it’s definitely a lot more physical on the running side," Myring said. "It’s a lot more intense, you give a lot more every single game. The quality on the ball is just as high as well.” 

Another key player is senior midfielder Sebastian Reventlow-Mourier, who transferred from East Tennessee State University for the 2024 season. Originally from Viborg, Denmark, Reventlow-Mourier has brought a wealth of experience to the Gamecocks in his first season.

He has started all 10 games he's played in this season as a center midfielder, providing one goal and two assists. The Gamecocks are his second Southeastern team and third Division I school.

When deciding to come play in the United States, Reventlow-Mourier considered multiple opportunities for his future.

He said that in Denmark, a player has to fully commit to either football or education and choosing one means sacrificing the other. In contrast, the American college system is set up to allow people to pursue both their education and sports, he said.

His decision to transfer and move South Carolina was influenced by the program’s reputation and potential for success, he said.

“When South Carolina contacts you and wants you to come, I think it’s a no-brainer," Reventlow-Mourier said. "Everything about this place is just unbelievable, the teammates, the staff. I think this is one of the best programs in the country, and we’re working very hard to get it back to where I think it should be because we have everything it takes.”

Junior defender Junior Saint-Juste made his way to the United States in the beginning of 2019, bringing another layer to the team’s narrative. Hailing from Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Saint-Juste has been a starter for the past three years.

Due to political issues and traveling often, Saint-Juste said he felt the need to make a move. Saint-Juste had previously traveled to the U.S. with the Haitian Youth National Team, a background which helped him adjust when moving to Columbia, making his decision easier, he said.

“In Haiti, you’re not really safe which was something I worried about, the safety," Saint-Juste said. "Coming to the U.S .... you can focus on your future more than safety, that’s the difference." 

His decision to join the Gamecocks was influenced by a strong bond with Annan, whom he met at an identification camp in Atlanta. Saint-Juste played for Atlanta United's academy while Annan was manager there.

“He told me strongly the plans that he had," Saint-Juste said. "He’s a coach that I wanted to play for ... so when he called me about it, I was just like 'Yeah, I’m committed.'” 

In his fourth season at the helm, Annan currently holds his best ever record as head coach. His decision to come to the University of South Carolina was due to wanting a new challenge and to coach in college soccer, Annan said. He wanted to do something that would benefit him and his family at this point in his career. A dedicated and unified group has been important to the Gamecocks’ success this season, he said.

“The group of players we have are very in tune and very focused, very intent on what they’re doing, there’s a great attitude throughout the group and a good culture,” Annan said. "The staff have been phenomenal. Now we feel we've got a group that's on the same page, all going in the same direction, all talking in the same language. There's a really good sort of harmonious relationship between the staff and the team.”

Finding the players that fit to represent the team involves careful selection and scouting, Annan said.

Recruiting internationally is a lengthy and structured process, a strategy which involves a global approach, seeking out talent from various countries to enhance the team’s quality.

Programs start by looking at videos of players from around the world. If a player impresses and fits the profile, flights are made to see them live.

"From there, it’s basically 'Are we ready to make an offer for them to come play in the U.S?'” Annan said.  

The team has to then work with the player to collect information about their education for the school, which can take months. This step is easier with transfers who have already been living in the country, Annan said.

Having played college soccer at Life University and professionally with West Bromwich Albion, Annan is familiar with how it compares to the European level.

For the European professional ranks, the level is far greater than it is in college, Annan said. But college soccer has more organization than the lower European leagues, he said.

“I think college is probably the most organized and structured league for non-professionals in the world," Annan said. "If you go across the world and look at lower leagues and amateur soccer, this is by far the most structured and organized league there is in the world.” 

Many players come to the United States if they don't get a professional contract in their own country and also start to think about their education, Annan said.

"They start thinking about whether they can go pro in America and realize there's more to life and that getting their education and playing at a good level is probably a better choice," Annan said. "I think that's where the pathway starts for them."