Preview: South Carolina looks to upset No. 7 Alabama on the road in Tuscaloosa

The South Carolina football team is looking to bounce back from a blowout loss to Ole Miss when it takes on No. 7 Alabama in Tuscaloosa on Saturday. 

South Carolina is 3-13 against the Crimson Tide, losing its last matchup in 2019 in Columbia. The last time South Carolina beat Alabama was in 2010 at Williams Brice Stadium in a 35-21 upset.

After coming off a bye week and a big win over Akron the week before, the Gamecocks struggled on offense and with discipline in a 27-3 loss to the Rebels.

Redshirt freshman quarterback LaNorris Sellers and senior running back Raheim Sanders returning from injury wasn't enough to overcome Ole Miss' strong defense.

Sanders was limited to just eight carries in the contest, gaining 29 total yards, while sixth-year running back Oscar Adaway III totaled 29 yards on nine attempts. Sellers could not make up for the lack of efficiency in the Gamecocks’ run game. He only threw for 162 yards with zero touchdowns and one interception

Sellers could not make up for the lack of efficiency in the Gamecocks’ run game. He only threw for 162 yards with zero touchdowns and one interception.

We were undisciplined to say the least, and that starts with me as the head coach,” head coach Shane Beamer said. “There’s clearly an issue and I got to address it.”

Sixth-year linebacker Demetrius Knight Jr. said the result of South Carolina's upcoming game against Alabama could depend on which team plays the cleaner game.

"It's going to come down to discipline on both sides; who wants it more, and who has the edge coming into this game,"  Knight Jr. said.

The Gamecocks will travel on the road to face the Crimson Tide team that recently suffered its first loss of the season to Vanderbilt. Alabama's last defeat to the Commodores was nearly 40 years ago in 1984.  

Alabama's defense,  which had given up just 15 points per game prior to taking on Vanderbilt, allowed 40 points to the Commodores. This marked the most points Alabama had given up to Vanderbilt since their second-ever meeting in 1906, which was a 78-0 loss.

Vanderbilt head coach Clark Lea used senior QB Diego Pavia's legs to make the shocking upset against the number one team in the country. This week Beamer looks to use the same method with Lanorris Sellers and Robby Ashford Saturday in Tuscaloosa.

Pavia completed 16 of 20 passes for 252 yards, two touchdowns and zero interceptions while also racking up 56 rushing yards.  Sellers and redshirt senior quarterback Robby Ashford both have the potential to make game-changing plays, Beamer said.

“When you have two guys that can run the football well because of their size and speed like LaNorris and Robby can, it makes a difference," Beamer said.

AlabamaPQ.png

Seller took notes from Pavia's performance, he said

"He played physical and wasn't afraid to take hits," Sellers said. "He just played with an edge about him." 

Beamer said, that while Sellers can be dangerous in the ground game, he doesn't want to risk Sellers' health against a physical team like the Crimson Tide.

LaNorris is a weapon with his legs, but we don’t want LaNorris carrying the ball 20 times a game,” Beamer said.

Beamer also said the team's wide receiver room has improved each week but still has room to grow as the season progresses. The young group is headlined by freshman Mazeo Bennett Jr., who leads the team with 14 receptions, 200 receiving yards and two touchdowns this season.

"They've gotten better since the beginning of the season," Beamer said. "There is no question in my mind that (sophomore wide receiver) Nyck Harbor has gotten better as a player since the beginning of the season."

South Carolina's defense, meanwhile, will face one of the toughest challenges of the 2024 season in Alabama's offense. Alabama's offense is quick and high powered ranking, third in the SEC in points per game this year. One of Alabama's key weapons is freshman wide receiver Ryan Williams, who has already scored six touchdowns and racked up 544 yards through five games.

Junior quarterback Jalen Milroe has also played a pivotal role in Alabama's offensive success. Milroe has thrown for 1,274 yards, 11 touchdowns and only two interceptions, while also rushing for 283 yards and nine touchdowns.

"He has a great frame and a great arm, and can hurt you in the run game," Knight Jr. said. "What makes him dangerous is that he keeps his eye down the field and has developed in his game this year."

Milroe's dual-threat nature makes it difficult to prepare for him, Knight Jr. said.

South Carolina's (3-2, 1-2 SEC) matchup against No. 7 Alabama (4-1, 1-1 SEC) – who enter as 21-point favorites, according to ESPN BET  – is scheduled to kick off in Bryant-Denny Stadium at noon. The game will be broadcast nationally on ABC.