Recipe: Spicy caramel apples

As fall weather finally begins to arrive in South Carolina, it brings two of the tastiest American holidays with it. Between the sweets of Halloween and the savory flavors that accompany Thanksgiving, foodies everywhere can rejoice! However, spicy food lovers may sometimes feel left behind without a staple food for these holidays. This spicy caramel apple recipe turns a Halloween classic into a great way for hot heads to stay in the holiday spirit. 

Ingredients:

6 medium-sized apples (Granny Smith or Pink Lady are preferred, but any variety works)

6 wooden skewers 

1/4 cup tajin seasoning

Caramel: 

2 cups granulated sugar 

1/2 cup unsalted butter

1/2 cup heavy cream

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 to 3 teaspoons Tabasco hot sauce

A pinch of salt

Directions:

1. Start by washing the apples thoroughly to remove any wax. Pat them dry with a clean towel.

2. Carefully remove the stems from each apple. Insert a skewer about halfway into the top of each apple.

3. In a saucepan (at least 2.5 quarts) combine 2 cups of granulated sugar and 1/2 cup of unsalted butter. Place the saucepan over medium heat. 

4. Stir the mixture with a wooden spoon until the butter is melted and the sugar begins to dissolve. Once it starts to boil, stop stirring completely. Allow it to boil for 4 to 5 minutes.

5. When the caramel reaches a deep amber color, carefully add 1/2 cup of heavy cream and stir gently to combine. Do not be alarmed when the mixture bubbles up. It is very important to hold your stirring spoon at its base during this step, to minimize your risk of a sugar burn.

6. Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 2 to 3 teaspoons of Tabasco hot sauce (depending on desired spice level) and a pinch of salt. Mix until smooth.

7. Once the caramel is smooth, remove it from heat. Allow it to cool for a minute or two, but keep it warm enough to dip the apples. 

8. Dip each apple into the warm caramel, turning it to coat the apple fully. Hold the apple over your saucepan, and allow any excess caramel to drip off. Be sure to be mindful of your hand placement as your saucepan is still very hot at this step.

9. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of tajin seasoning on a baking sheet. While the caramel is still warm, roll the apples across the sheet while pressing lightly. It is important not to press to hard, as the caramel is still malleable at this stage and can be morphed.

10. Place the coated apples on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Then place the baking sheet in the fridge to cool for at least 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, your apples are ready to serve!