Say cheese to USC's charcuterie club, the Charcuties

<p>The illustration shows a wooden charcuterie board with a variety of cheeses, crackers, meat and fruit spread across it in an artful manner. </p>
The illustration shows a wooden charcuterie board with a variety of cheeses, crackers, meat and fruit spread across it in an artful manner.

Look out Lettuce Club, another quirky food-centered student organization has arrived on campus, and it is none other than the Charcuties club. Centered around cheeses, meats and charcuterie boards, this club offers students a way to socialize, meet new people and decorate their plates just like a charcuterie board.

Charcuterie boards are preserved meats, breads, crackers, different kinds of cheese and sometimes fruits that are laid out in an aesthetically pleasing way upon a board to be eaten

Formed last year by a group of fourth-year students, the Charcuties club features a large charcuterie board that is filled with cheeses, meats and fruits that are provided by the executive board. Members are encouraged to create their own little charcuterie boards from the bigger board with their plates, giving them a chance to be creative.

Jasmine Pak, a fourth-year public health student, was present at this first meeting on Sept. 17 in Russell House.

"This is my last year, I'm trying to go to more clubs and hopefully make more friends. I actually did make friends,” Pak said.

“I think it gives students a chance to sort of forget about their responsibilities with school," said Abby Yon, a first-year English student.

The president of the club, Julia Putman, a third-year mass communications student, said she plans on running the club in way that allows students to "let loose and destress."

The surge in popularity of the Charcuties club comes as a result of the outreach efforts that the executive board has been able to make, Putman said. She saw ways of getting the club more out there and engaging in outreach methods, such as tabling, handing out flyers and getting people to tell their friends about the club.

She also said the GroupMe for the Charcuties club originally was at 75 people before this semester. After the outreach plan, it increased to 200 people. The club currently sits at around 230-240 members.

Putman said the club used to be more niche and underground before her election. Reaching as many people as possible is the success that she wants to bring to the club, Putman said .

"So they just have to show up. And if they want to do a fun, cute thing on their plate, they totally can. If they don't want to, they can just come and eat cheese and mingle with people too." Putman said.

Putman said being a peer 101 leader allowed her to promote the club through her students. Peer 101 leaders are upper-division students that serve as mentors and facilitators of learning and guides for on campus resources for first-year college students

Other board members of the Charcuties club also serve as peer 101 leaders, Putman said.

"So we told our classes about all of that. And I told my co-instructor, and I've told my other classes too to try to get it as aware as possible," Putman said.

The Charcuties club saw an estimated 55-65 people come out to see the event. Some members said they have never heard of the Charcuties club until this past meeting. 

“Apparently they had been established since last year. But I didn't hear about them, or I didn't see them at the organization fair last year,” said Pak.

“I will say the first meeting definitely was overwhelming for them and also us because the turnout was massive,” said Pak. 

Putman said that one of her goals for the next meeting is ensuring everyone is able to get cheese. There was only just enough cheese, as Putman did not anticipate so many people coming. With over 50 people attending, the cheese was completely gone by the time everyone had made their way through the line.

Putman also said the diversity within the club gave her the the chance to meet people she normally would not. 

I just really think something so fun and light hearted like this brings so many different types of people together,” said Putman. “We just want to make sure that everyone knows that they can come and are accepted here.” 

Julia Putman, a third-year Mass Communications student.png

Putman said she urges anyone who is interested to come out and invite their friends to the next Charcuties club meeting, which will be held on Oct. 15 at Russel in room 332 at 6. There are no dues for the club and meetings occur monthly. Students can follow the Charcuties club on Instagram at charcutiesclub.