South Carolina's only LGBTQIA+ bookstore faces financial troubles, runs risk of being shut down

<p>Shelves of LGBTQIA+ literature inside Queer Haven Books in Columbia, South Carolina, on Sept. 28, 2024. The store offers a selection of reading material to support and represent the LGBTQIA+ community.</p>
Shelves of LGBTQIA+ literature inside Queer Haven Books in Columbia, South Carolina, on Sept. 28, 2024. The store offers a selection of reading material to support and represent the LGBTQIA+ community.

Queer Haven Books, South Carolina's only independently-owned queer bookstore, is facing financial difficulties after only five months of being open and risks the possibility of closing, co-owner Baker Rogers said. 

"We're at the point that, like, we either have to do something or we have to close it down and go," Rogers said.

The bookstore, which originally started as a pop up in April 2023, made its official debut as a brick and mortar store in May 2024. Since then, Cayt Welti, a customer of Queer Haven, believes it has created a place of community and refuge for people like her, inviting LGBTQIA+ members, allies and anyone else interested in supporting their store. 

“The atmosphere ... feels safe, which a lot of places don’t,” Welti said. "It’s comfortable, it's warm, it's inviting.” 

Queer Haven provides plenty of opportunities to meet new people and build community through its events, which include pop ups, queer comedy and mic nights, craft nights and more, Rogers said. 

Welti said these events have allowed her to feel safe and welcome, especially because she can meet and become close to others who may be struggling with the same challenges she faces.

“When I had a bad day, specifically related to being queer, it gave me a sense of belonging and community,” Welti said. "It was just good to be surrounded by people that I knew wouldn’t judge me and that have walked the same path.” 

But the store has been struggling to gain traction due to being the only queer independent bookstore in South Carolina, Rogers said. 

When it first opened, Rogers said that they and their co-owner, Matti Williams, had to rely on donations to get started and weren't able to build a credit profile. This now means that Queer Haven is struggling to qualify for loans, leaving it in a lot of debt that Rogers and Williams are currently working hard to pay off. On top of already struggling to gain momentum from having such a small community, this added debt has created a lot of hardship for Queer Haven Books, according to Rogers. 

"I just want people to know that these donations are going to buying books, putting on events and creating this community," Rogers said. 

On Sept. 17, Queer Haven Books posted on their social media sharing some of these financial struggles and inviting people to donate or buy plaques, which run at $200 a piece. These plaques, according to its instagram, are a way for someone to name a section after themselves or someone they care about while also supporting the business.  

Customer David Giugni lives in Aiken, South Carolina, but drives almost 50 minutes to Queer Haven Books regularly because it offers a safe space for him and his partner. Giugni said he shares concerns about the fact that Queer Haven doesn't get enough business because it is one of the only few LGBTQIA+ spaces in South Carolina.

"I dont think there's, like, a huge community of support, and so, its unique to this area, the bookstore. And even though its a wonderful space and a safe space, its also small," Giugni said. "I just figure it would be tough. It's a small space in a small community."

Rogers said that when they originally lived in Columbia from 2007 to 2011, they wanted to open a queer bar.

After Rogers came back in 2020, however, many previous queer spaces were gone, leaving two gay bars, they said. They decided then that they would open a queer bookstore instead, which would allow different groups of people to find a sense of community.

"There were people missing community and didn't know where to find their people," Rogers said. "I love books. I love education, and I wanted to create a community space where we could do events, where we could meet each other, where we could hang out, and also base it around education for queer people."

Rogers said they believe that if the store closes, they could lose the sense of community that they have been trying so hard to build.

“This space is where the community can gather," Rogers said. "We can’t have community space with pop ups. We can still do queer books and queer merch and still meet people, but we can’t have what we have here in terms of community.

Welti said she believes that it is imperative for the only queer bookstore in South Carolina to stay open because it allows many young people a chance to have their own space. 

A person stands outside of the queer haven bookstore, looking at shelves of books for sale. On the window of the store is a multitude of posters advertising things such as Columbia Comic Con, Columbia LGBTQ run/walk and Yallo Ween. Inside the door of the bookstore there is a pride flag hanging on the wall.

A customer looks at books and posters outside Queer Haven Books in Columbia, South Carolina, on Sept. 28, 2024. The store showcases items, including banned children's books and LGBTQIA+ themed zines.

“They've had so many queer, not only teenagers, but children in there too, and that gives them some place to go," Welti said. "So if this place were to suddenly disappear, there would be no community watering hole. There would be no safe space for these kids to go and see that they are not alone, especially in the South.”

While they are still struggling financially, Rogers believes that things have picked up for Queer Haven Books. Since its post on Sept. 17, Rogers said they have sold at least 10 plaques. There has also been a spike in online sales from all over the country, which has boosted their sales, along with many donations. Rogers said that Queer Haven has a lot of support, which is helping the business stay afloat as it attempts to get back on track.

"People want to be here," Roger said. "People want us to be here, and so were trying the best we can to get our things straight." 

Rogers said that even if people can't buy its plaques, there are other ways they can show their support for Queer Haven, such as  coming to events, sharing their social media posts and telling the people around them about their bookstore. Rogers also hopes that students can use their space as a comfortable place to sit down and work.

“Some college students have come to our event, but we haven't really, necessarily been able to show that we're here and we want people to come hang out and just use the space as well. That's what we're here for,” Rogers said.

Queer Haven Books is located in the arcade building on 1332 Main Street. It is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesdays and Fridays, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Thursdays, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturdays, and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Sundays.