USC graduate assistant arrested on child sexual abuse material charges

<p>FILE - The Darla Moore School of Business sign is displayed on the Greene Street side of the building on June 14, 2024. The Moore School provides business education and is known for its top-ranked international business program.</p>
FILE - The Darla Moore School of Business sign is displayed on the Greene Street side of the building on June 14, 2024. The Moore School provides business education and is known for its top-ranked international business program.

A Darla Moore School of Business graduate student and Ph.D candidate was arrested on Oct. 22 on three counts of second degree sexual exploitation of a minor. 

Joshua Shoulders was arrested by the Internet Crimes against Children Task Force investigators from the attorney general's office with Lexington County Sheriff's department. USCPD also assisted with the investigation. 

According to a press release from the attorney general's office, investigators received a CyberTipline report from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, which led them to Shoulders. Investigators said Shoulders distributed files of child sexual abuse material.

The Attorney General's office will prosecute the case. Each count is punishable by up to 10 years imprisonment.

"We are aware of the charges and cannot discuss the status of individual students based on federal student privacy laws," university spokesperson Jeff Stensland said. "However, in cases where students face serious criminal charges, it would trigger a campus suspension."